Sticky textures for jigsaw model

Hi New style cafe!

I have a jigsaw model, currently built with a series of clones although it can be made editable if that's easier.

I'd like to apply a texture, but then fragment the puzzle and move the pieces around so it looks kinda half done. 

Obviously the texture needs to follow this movement.

I then would like to be able to swap out the image and for the texture to be mapped appropraitely.

kinda thought id be able to work this out but a few hours in, i'm turning to the cafe

Any pointers?

Thanks

Edited by Cerbera
Moved to correct section (see edit history)
  • hammondchips changed the title to Sticky textures for jigsaw model

Come on Hammondchips, you have been here long enough to know we don't just dump stuff in General Discussion. Moved to where it should be !

I suspect it will have to be made editable. The key is to project the texture flat onto all the pieces at once in their 'solved state' and then bake that projection into UVs using r-click menu and 'Generate UV coordinates'. That should work when a simple stick texture / pin material tag won't.

CBR

That shouldn't be an issue as long as you remember to check the" fix texture" option in the cloner object, map the texture to the cloner in flat mode and should all be good, I guess you could just key frame a different texture at some point, or maybe even transitioning it with an effector ought to be possible. If you have all the pieces like a real jigsaw then similar approach with the fracture object.

I think that's what yer after ?

Deck

Screenshot 2021-03-19 at 09.45.08.png

Fixtexture.zip

Hi @deck

Ah I see! this does work...

i've added in a 'push-apart and random' effector and get pretty good results.

If i want to arrange the fragmented pieces one by one to give it a natural feel? Is there a click and drag approach? 

I saw something about using the cloner ID and Formula, but that seemed long winded... 

thanks

Alex

Here is a sort of work around, tho its effectively like making editable, tho it does serve to keep the texture as one unit.

So once your happy with the grid / tile amount make a copy of the cloner and delete the texture, make cloner editable giving you a set of blank tiles, drop all of these into a fracture object ( remove the null ) and in the transform tab turn on the index.

So with the use of an inheritance effector you can now grab a tile in the fracture and move it and the cloner will follow, unfortunately you have to select in object manager as in viewport they are in same place as cloner and won't select, hence having the index on so you can see the clone number and grab it in the OM, you can see here I've moved No 13.

If you want to you can apply all the effectors to the fracture object, Ive added a plane here as an example.

Deck

Screenshot 2021-03-19 at 14.12.20.png

Fixtexture2.zip

@deck

I tried your latest suggestion, but couldn't get my head around it... however. Incase anyone has this problem in the future, i found another work-around that was more in my comfort zone and allowed a fully editable workflow.

Each jigsaw piece was an extruded spline which was then cloned in various ways to create the middle section, edges and corners of the jigsaw.

To get the semi-broken up look, i used small plain effectors with sphere FIELDS which control individual jigsaw pieces all of which were in a clone of some sort. About 12 looked right, so not too bad. I could then positions these 12 scatted pieces as i wished, whilst still having fully editable geometry.

Changing the texture changed the image and 'art directing' the scattering was simple

The extrudes allowed some nice detailed control too with the jigsaw photo textures on R1 and C1 and a third on the rest for the grey paper edges.