Flatten polygon selection based on normals

bjlotus
Go to solution Solved by zipit,

Hey guys, wondering if there's any way to modify this script to also work on angled surfaces? I also tried this script, but it changes the angle of the surrounding polys as well. Would love to be able to do this but also keep the surrounding edges parallel.

flat.png

flat.gif

50 minutes ago, mrittman said:

Someone shared with me that even Blender has tools for this kind of operation.

hmm, what is the condition of moving the points of the polys-to-flatten? I assume "points of unselected polys must not move out of the plane of their polygon", but then this would only work up to a border polygon. Need to fire up Blender to test...

(Also: In C4D, there is no "first"/"leading" polygon in a selection. Which means that you'd need a two-step dialog to specify the plane first, then the polygons to affect.)

10 minutes ago, Cairyn said:

hmm, what is the condition of moving the points of the polys-to-flatten? I assume "points of unselected polys must not move out of the plane of their polygon", but then this would only work up to a border polygon. Need to fire up Blender to test...

(Also: In C4D, there is no "first"/"leading" polygon in a selection. Which means that you'd need a two-step dialog to specify the plane first, then the polygons to affect.)

Yeah, and I thought I came close by figuring out you can drag objects into the Modeling Axis manager, as you can see here by dragging a guide in. Unfortunately it's still going to angle the polys that are touching. Need to keep them horizontal somehow. Is there a plugin that allows you to align points to a spline or something? I suppose I could turn on snapping and move each one individually, but that's not very intuitive.

image.png.3ca3bb8326cfb8377978dfe15a82fbbc.png