Just play around with low poly with light

aniocean

I think the trees look too geometric. Maybe distort their shape a little bit with a displacer. The store is also completely empty, the walls are insanely thick (look at those window frames). You could get a lot more out of that scene if you play around with AO and GI as well. As it stands, the image screams "I AM RENDERED".

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

Hi, 

Cool start! I feel like the lighting is unmotivated I. E. Like there is a huge invisible sphere floating above the scene. It's not sunlight, and it's not coming from the street lamp, so it feels a bit weird. 

I would also tone down your white materials a bit. I usually use 70-80% grey for white objects. Your sidewalk is burning out so we have no contrast or shadows for the tables. 

Keep going! And try some other lighting options. 

evanalexander.com     Abusing chromatic aberration heavily since 2011....

9 hours ago, aniocean said:

I did use AO for this scene........ 

Yes but what you can do for scenes like these is increase max AO distance for example. Gives them a very stylized look. Just try to play around.

thanks for the tips. I am wondering whether I need to use corona or octane to render? Will it look better?  

You can make scenes like these look really good with the default C4D renderer. More capable render engines are not something that just gives you easy looks, it's just faster.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the nice comments. Really help a lot 😃

Here is some progress. I add a sky light here to make some nice shadow there............ though the tree and lamp have no shadow there as I apply a material with illumination on the floor.

image.thumb.png.fd28a30d0ff9dfcf7edb75786c2d05e6.png

One thing not sure about is the displacement map(tiles) for the icecream cone.

look strange when i apply.

image.png.3858509907539e508270467e345ab6f3.pngimage.thumb.png.1bf28e08a71311637e295396afac0f54.png

Screen Shot 04-08-21 at 10.40 PM.PNG