Pretty cool C4D/Octane Plugin - wParallax

Tripped across this site: wParallax that makes a OSL based plugin that creates a "room with one polygon" --- in essence an OSL shading system that converts EXR images into parallax views of an interior room by shading only 1 external polygon on the model.  Very cool as it allows models of building facades to become complete interiors --- thus close-ups of those buildings are now possible.

Unfortunately, as it requires OSL, it is only for C4D using Octane.  I understand that Redshift is currently implementing OSL so maybe this will come to Redshift in the future as well.  If you have Octane, you can actually download a free model from their web-site using this technique (scroll to the bottom of their home page).

Between wParallax and Embergen, Octane supports some pretty cool stuff for C4D. 

Not so with Redshift as the plugins it supports (Hair Farm, Forest Pack, etc) are all Maya, Max plugins. 

Oh well.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

Redshift does now support OSL - as of version 3.0.38 issued on 28 Feb. Current Rs version is 3.0.41

There is a regularly updating repository of Redshift ready OSL shaders - currently numbering around 40, with more being created weekly: 

GitHub - redshift3d/RedshiftOSLShaders

I know one of the OSL 'WindowBox' shaders is currently being 'code-tweaked' for Redshift use, but I do agree that the wParallax packs and setups look very well put together, and I'd be very happy if they launched a Redshift version!

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 7:00 PM, Mike A said:

Curiosity got the better of me - I downloaded the free wParallel kit to see if I could get it working in Redshift.

Yes : )

The Octane OSL file complied in Redshift fine. I created a new Redshift material with one of their EXR's - and here we are : )

Mike,

Can you post the C4D Redshift file and/or tell us how you did this?  Brilliant!

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

Dave,

Very willing to do that. Unfortunately I'm away from my studio / workstation for a few days so I don't have the file to hand. I'm hoping I haven't trashed it.  I'll see if I can remote in and find it.

I think one of the problems with the WParrallax images - the guy is selling texture maps essentially, the code is just open source OSL - is that the guy has swapped around one of the plane locations in his textures!  I think he had one in the wrong quadrant. I swapped it around in Photoshop.

• Customer

In my opinion that plugin is worth mostly for its library of rooms. Other than that, the parallax technology can be faked easly with the Compositing Tag (been doing it since R12).
And to be honest you whouldn't even need the Compositing tag, it's obvious that in most cases you just save your scene 5-6 quads per room. Same thing as puting some billboard object textures. The only thing that makes it look real is because the textures are from real objects. 

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community