Using Redshift on a Mac with an eGPU?

Hi Carolyne,

I'm a Windows / Redshift user, so please cross check this info with a Mac user - or with Redshift support directly : ).

Redshift / Mac is in beta. Looking on the Redshift forum it seems there are users successfully running it on Mac via eGPU. Back in mid November 2020 one of the main Redshift developers posted this info when announcing the Mac beta. I don't know if any of this info has changed since then.

=========

• Redshift for Metal requires macOS Big Sur and will not work on older versions of macOS.
• We recommend installing Big Sur 11.1 in order to avoid having to wait for GPU programs to compile when you first run Redshift.
• At this time, only AMD Vega and Navi GPUs are supported - with 8GB VRAM or more. Please see GPU list below. We’re working with Apple and AMD to determine whether Polaris-based GPUs can be supported in the future (with reasonable performance).
• The M1 chip is not currently supported but we’re making progress on adding support for it.

LIST OF SUPPORTED GPUS

MacBook Pro
- Radeon Pro Vega 16/20
- Radeon Pro 5500M/5600M

iMac
- Radeon Pro Vega 48
- Radeon Pro 5500XT/5700/5700XT

iMac Pro
- Radeon Pro Vega 56/64

MacPro
- Radeon Pro Vega II / Vega II Duo
- Radeon Pro W5500X/W5700X

Thunderbolt eGPUs
- Vega-based GPUs
  - Radeon RX Vega 56/64
  - Radeon Pro WX 9100
  - Radeon VII
- Navi/RDNA-based GPUs
  - Radeon RX 5500/5500XT/5600XT/5700/5700XT

=========

I suggest trying octane X. Free for now and works with old amd Polaris GPU’s. Requires Big Sur. I’m getting decent performances on my old MBP 2017 and amd gpu. Works also through egpu. Try a 5700XT with a sonnet breakaway box if you want something beefier. 

• 1 month later...

Hey, @Carolyne did you happen to get an eGPU? I am toying with a sonnet puck 5700, although if I could actually find a beefier AMD card I would go the full Breakway box route, they are just too hard to find (and 2.5x the price they should be if you can find them)

thanks!

- Mike

I'm using a Mac mini M1 with a 27" 4k and a 27" 4K monitor and I'm in computer Nirvana. C4D, RS, and PS are all M1 native and rock solid and slam onto the screen. I have 8 GPU cores and very soon Apple will release 64 - 128 core machines so rendering is predicted to leave Intel in the dust. I am SO happy I am an early adopter. I have forgotten what a crash is like. XP and Cycles should be M1 native by this summer. I run all the Adobe apps flawlessly even though so far only PS is M1 native. Life is sweet with this setup and this collection of software.

Before you plunk down any money you might want to wait and see what Apple has to offer at WWDC and announcements throughout 2021. This is just the beginning and it is already amazing.

AND they are passing their chip cost savings on to customers.

• 8 months later...

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community