Evan Alexander Sketchbook Vol 04

4 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

Man, I just love the way Corona looks.

Now if it only also had a GPU mode 😞

I dunno - I haven't written off CPU rendering.  Maybe if I did animation I would care more.  I like the speed of Redshift, but Coronas VFB gets me there fast enough for look dev and for stills, final render times are still great with a threadripper.  I'm glad I didn't have to navigate the GPU landscape and market for the last few years - brutal and expensive.  I worked for so many years with physical renderer and 3-4 hour renders for one still, that it all still seems amazing and magic to me.

evanalexander.com     Abusing chromatic aberration heavily since 2011....

I've been shooting images for decades - mainly amateur but some pro work as well. For years we've wanted softer softboxes with smoother diffusion and have cursed the unsightly umbrella rib lines in our reflections... and now in the world of CGI we're free from those flaws. Yay! But, umm... somehow it doesn't look right LOL!

It’s the same thing in music. As soon as audio perfection was achieved, musicians started using tape emulators, analog synth emulators, old-school mixer emulators. And so on. Adding “non-linear” aspects is almost ubiquitous in productions these days. 

And to my ears it really sounds better. The richness of an instrument run through pro gear, emulated to perfection - warts and all - is so much nicer than digital cleanliness. 

It is true, I put a lot of effort into generating defects, after years of trying to hide them in photos. Lately I've been trying to off-center and angle my render cameras a bit. So easy to dial it in to 0 on X and 90 on H. A few degrees off makes a difference. 

On 4/1/2022 at 4:05 PM, EAlexander said:

I dunno - I haven't written off CPU rendering.  Maybe if I did animation I would care more.  I like the speed of Redshift, but Coronas VFB gets me there fast enough for look dev and for stills, final render times are still great with a threadripper.  I'm glad I didn't have to navigate the GPU landscape and market for the last few years - brutal and expensive.  I worked for so many years with physical renderer and 3-4 hour renders for one still, that it all still seems amazing and magic to me.

Oh don't get me wrong, CPU rendering still has it's place, especially for engines like Corona since they are so good for Archviz. Those scenes just need copious amounts of RAM which a GPU cannot provide.

That said, compared to a GPU engine Corona is simply slow (relatively said) and for the scenes I would like to do with it (as hobby, not for my job) I would love to have a GPU option. I would just never reach the RAM limits 😉

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

It's true - it is not zippy.  Mostly I want them to stay CPU so they keep all their focus on one track and keep maturing the software at a good pace.  I haven't tried v8 yet as I'm mid way though too many projects to change over now, but there are some nice new features like Splicer.

04.02 Montbretia & Cenizo

04_02_Flower_Montbretia_v01.jpg

04_02_Flower_Cenizo_v01.jpg

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community