Random edges after applying boole

Hey guys,

I`m having an issue with boolea.
Untitled222.thumb.png.a017fd18a0e445560a8d764595d93748.png

Here is the model before applying the boole. As you can see I`m trying to apply a simple rectangle shape. Before that I had applied quite some booles  as you can see: cylinders, rectangles, a custom shaped object which I created with a pen tool and extrude modifier.

Untitled2223.thumb.png.4cb27d2bf4e032685049c70873f1eedb.png

Any idea what might be causing this issue?

Thank you a lot!

Edited by Cerbera
Moved to correct section (see edit history)

Yes, that'll be fully expected of the intrinsically rubbish nature of boolean operations with complex curvature ! 🙂

Some of the time that sort of thing will work as a kind of lazy cheat, but in some situations it won't, and this might be one of them, although I just can't tell for sure without you uploading the scene file.

This sort of thing is far better handled with actual modelling, ie polys, rather than splines in generators, although they can serve as starting points.

CBR

Nope, there is nothing better you could be doing with the boole options to make it work better. In R23 it does work, but I suspect we have a slightly improved boolean object than the one back in version 20, so perhaps that is understandable.

image.thumb.png.504d1728a960f9f3799d8e9264b00540.png

But if it doesn't work in your version, it'll be because you are stacking boole on top of (editable) boole, and the edge flow / point distribution on your source splines is very much sub-optimal.

Try changing any / all of the options in the boole and in spline interpolation. If that doesn't work, and you can't use the Volume Builder instead (which produces much nicer transitions with boolean operations anyway) then you'll have to model it properly via the poly pen and regular modelling tool set.

CBR

The R20 version could be the problem. I have tried every possible combination with boole.

"You are stacking boole on top of (editable) boole". I didnt really understand this. Would you be able to show me an example of that and how you stacked them to achieve this successful result?

I didn't stack them - you did. That is to say you made one boole editable, with all the disgraceful ngon and triangle geometry that would generate, and then compounded it by using that as the source object in another boole, hence the 'stacking'. So geometry error on top of geometry error does not for successful models make ! However, just by loading your file in R23 the boole there happens to deal with it OK. That's why I said if none of the options change anything for you, then you have to find another way, change the underlying geo in some way until it does work, (or update to R23), because you'll have done everything you could to make it work in that version.

CBR

thank you a lot guys, you`re real life savers!

Just to add another question to all this since I made a lot of research on 3D modeling and all the techniques, what is the best and fastest way for hard surface modeling in cinema4d? I saw that Blender has a powerful addon/plugin called boxcutter. Is there something similar for cinema4d? What is your experience on this?

No, boxcutter is exclusive to Blender, and is better boolean functionality than almost anything else. We don't have an equivalent in Cinema, but we do have the volume builder, which whilst working totlaly differently, can produce comparative results...

Of course there is no substitute for actual poly modelling skills, which don't rely on any cheats, splines, generators or helpers, and can model any object you have the time and patience to make, but these skills take years to develop, and I wouldn't call them quick or easy - however they remain the best, which is why it's worth making the effort to learn. If you can only model using splines and generators then you're gonna find the limitations of that fairly quickly.

CBR

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community