Is there a way to rig my robot character without mixing the meshes?

(I hope this post goes to the right section of the forum, I'm literally new at this.)

So, I've been working on this robot in the fnaf type, and one of the things I'm gonna do is animate it walking, playing songs, etc. What I try to do is making an IK controller, so I can just pick a null object and save time from animating every part.

I've been watching many youtube tutorials, but most of them are with a single mesh. Other tutorials don't have a very good way to make the model organized. I want to see if there's another way to "rig it" and have the meshes on their places with out mixing.

image.thumb.png.10431ebadb2d44384b567b1c79d24b6c.png

This is a screencap of my model.

If you need me to send a lib4d file, tell me.

Edited by Cerbera
Moved to correct section / Fixed spelling in keywords. (see edit history)

Well, this one is about Rigging, so guess which section it goes in ? Moved to... Rigging !

We'll never need a .lib4d file, but the .c4d file would always be helpful so we can check your geometry is suitable for animation / rigging (by no means a given), which we can't see at the moment because you haven't shown us the topology (lines/wires). However I can answer your question - sure, you can just bind all the parts of your model to the same rig using the same bind procedure as you would to do this with a single mesh. However, you don't even say what you are rigging to, so we don't know if you are using the character object, or a manual joint rig you have built yourself...

What definitely won't work is adding just an IK controller, and then pointing it at a null !!

CBR

• Cerbera changed the title to Is there a way to rig my robot character without mixing the meshes?
11 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Well, this one is about Rigging, so guess which section it goes in ? Moved to... Rigging !

We'll never need a .lib4d file, but the .c4d file would always be helpful so we can check your geometry is suitable for animation / rigging (by no means a given), which we can't see at the moment because you haven't shown us the topology (lines/wires). However I can answer your question - sure, you can just bind all the parts of your model to the same rig using the same bind procedure as you would to do this with a single mesh. However, you don't even say what you are rigging to, so we don't know if you are using the character object, or a manual joint rig you have built yourself...

What definitely won't work is adding just an IK controller, and then pointing it at a null !!

CBR

Okay man, then let me send you a message. I want my file to be private! I'll give you a GDrive link.

TBH you've shared your file with the wrong guy - I am a modelling expert rather than rigging, so it's a shame only I have it available in PM. Vozz and Rectro are both much more qualified than me to advise about your specific question. That said, I can comment on topology...

image.thumb.png.b04b5ca35207e3fd145c176760ad5190.png

Ok, because of the hard surface / robot nature of this object, then we don't care particularly what the edge flow is doing with regard to animation; as Vozz said, you don't need to bind this or weight it to a rig if that is the case - you can just parent objects directly to the nulls controlled by the rig. So topologically we only care about 2 things - is it nice even polys, and are there enough of them to describe the forms we need them to ? The answer to both questions, as we can see above, is yes.

But this is a mesh designed (or rather I should say 'should be optimised for') to work with subdivision, so there are mistakes remaining if we want to use it with that, in all the areas where a horrible boole has been used instead of proper modelling. So whilst the mesh quality is approaching A grade in most places the disastrous booles around the nose drag the whole model down to a D grade, and make it unsuitable for subdivision - indeed if you apply SDS here you get a revolting tangle of mess that does show in render.

image.thumb.png.5cc7c3d0f1ae59d0f77b117668a768bd.png

So, if we do care about doing things nicely, you will want to stop doing horrible booles as a quick and lazy cheat, and continue to use proper poly modelling tools and techniques to get those additional nose details and whatnot in there without ANY triangles, and maintaining 100% even quads, which will work with SDS, and give you a surface you can be proud of...

However, with that said, will this affect your animation - no it won't ! 🙂

CBR

Well, it seems that I'll have to parent the objects to the joint. I was not expecting to do that, I really wanted to do the thing organized. I've seen many fnaf robots rigged without mixing meshes and all that stuff. Anyways, I don't have choice, at least for now.

Also: Thank you for the advice! I think you're right with the "bolee".  Like, I'm really lazy to work with polygons, literally I had to model an endo skeleton under the suit, and I said "Nah, let's just finish the model, I'm tired and I want to sleep". So, I added that ugly bolee, and I'm aware from that. That being said, thank you for the advice about the bolee, I should make things cleaner.

Thank you for the help and the feedback!

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community