So, what are you guys hoping for in S24?

Mike A

9 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Beeple uses his $69 Million dollar windfall from selling his crypto-art and purchases MAXON.     As the new owner, he launches a new license program that if you create one piece of art every  day between each release, then the cost of the next release is free.  There is much rejoicing in the C4D community.

And he also integrates some kind of Blockchain technology.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

On 4/6/2021 at 7:50 PM, hikarubr said:

Oh, but I'm pretty sure they will have another update that no one asked (like Takes, Sculpting, Reflectance Channel, etc...), nothing that we asked and will keep saying that they are still working on the core.

Takes save me literally hours of time every single day. If you don't need them then fair enough, but if you haven't looked into them then I strongly suggest you do.

Sculpting is also a great set of tools. No, it isn't zbrush but its still a very useful and solid set of modelling tools.

Reflectance channel, yeah fair enough, not the best interface and the render engine can't really cope with them.

12 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Beeple uses his $69 Million dollar windfall from selling his crypto-art and purchases MAXON.     As the new owner, he launches a new license program that if you create one piece of art every  day between each release, then the cost of the next release is free.  There is much rejoicing in the C4D community.

Honestly, I dont doubt that.  After seeing MAXON's CEO twitting about NFT's (sigh...)! 
Soon there will be NFT's chats about on MAXON's presentations, on "how cool NFT's are bro!"

19 hours ago, thanulee said:

I ll be very honest only reason i upgraded from R20 to R23 is cause I have files from other people while freelancing. As a studio, we were not intending to.

R21/s22 and R23 have next to 0 new features. Unless c4d turned into blender... and suddenly "bevels" is considered a new feature, or "unwrap" and "mixamo rigs".Also the idea of "looks" in the viewport, is... I will mention here the silent abandonment of ProRender. Clearly there isnt a solid plan last few years.
Feels like c4d is not addressing to professionals anymore but tries to reach a much broader audience (business wise makes total sense). Same time, the price tag is definitely for people that earn and not for hobbyists or people that are just starting out. Therefore I expect MUCH MORE than a bevel improvement, sorry MAXON.

I agree 100% with everything you just said. And I really do hope I am wrong, but after seeing these weird eyecandy and useless features like...Magic Bullet Looks for the viewport, I am not sure we should have our hopes high. 

I think I wouldnt be so negative if it wasnt a subscription model, and at such a high cost! When you look around and see companies like Pixologic, who have yet to charge for an upgrade cost for Zbrush once you pay their perpetual license, and the existence of Blender....  even Maya Indie is a lot cheaper! 

I know the whole comparison is a subject that has been beaten to death... but I do think this update will set the tone on what future MAXON sees for C4D, and what path it will take. And what kind of users it expects to have... 
I hope finally we get a better integration with Redshift, a render engine they bought! And useful, really useful features, like a true viewport engine,
And not things like:  "hey, make your viewport a bit more yellow with chromatic aberration, you will like it!"

3 hours ago, FLima said:

Honestly, I dont doubt that.  After seeing MAXON's CEO twitting about NFT's (sigh...)! 
Soon there will be NFT's chats about on MAXON's presentations, on "how cool NFT's are bro!"

Lol, yes, he really is clueless!

23 hours ago, thanulee said:

I ll be very honest only reason i upgraded from R20 to R23 is cause I have files from other people while freelancing. As a studio, we were not intending to.

R21/s22 and R23 have next to 0 new features. Unless c4d turned into blender... and suddenly "bevels" is considered a new feature, or "unwrap" and "mixamo rigs".Also the idea of "looks" in the viewport, is... I will mention here the silent abandonment of ProRender. Clearly there isnt a solid plan last few years.
Feels like c4d is not addressing to professionals anymore but tries to reach a much broader audience (business wise makes total sense). Same time, the price tag is definitely for people that earn and not for hobbyists or people that are just starting out. Therefore I expect MUCH MORE than a bevel improvement, sorry MAXON.

Concluding, I dont understand the S22, R23 indexing in versions, while it should be R22. We are not going faster by adding numbers. It felt like a marketing trick.
Same with scene nodes: since they are far from ready and they gonna change and they gonna be back end as well, keep em hidden and announce em due time. It reminds me of Octane where it comes with bells and whistles and years later the features are not even there. 

As c4d turned my cg carrier around in an extreme good way, I must admit now that it has brought me into a halt. Unfortunately, I am not that technical to jump into houdini, and same time c4d limits its own capabilities in the last 2 versions. IMO, c4d is not a modelling software, nor a char animation one. Its main thing is mograph and why people choose it over other ones. And its main competitor is houdini and not maya or max.

I am not the person that speaks in public about software issues or requests, i just take things as they are and try to do my best with what I have. And I am extremely grateful for my switch from max to c4d 3-4 years ago. But, truth be told, I am pessimistic as well about the future of c4d 🙂

Cheers!

Character animation guys are no C4D professionals?

R23 has cut my workflow time into half with the new features. Both on UVs and Mocap. While not perfect the new animation tools are great. Simple as that. Is C4D lacking? Yes, and I am complaining a lot about missing features like Liquids, Fluids. Cloth, GPU rendering etc...And yes they will have to implement RS soon natively because rendering tech in C4D is 10 years old. But for me R23 was a major leap forwards if you like it or not.

And no Houdini is not the main competitor of C4D. It is 3ds Max and Blender. I have a network here of 8-10 C4D artists. None of them is a mograph animator. All doing 3D CAD/Technologie Visualisation, Archviz and AR/VR. It is a misconception that C4D is only a mograph tool. It is the creatives way from multiple design paths into 3D.

But yes, MAXON has to step up feature wise.

41 minutes ago, ilay said:

Spoiler 🥰: new geom dummy!

image.thumb.png.ee2c37f4f120da97c13872f6447cd854.png

A better spoiler.  The business wizards at MAXON are going to announce tomorrow their sure fire and proven methodology for making money with C4D.  Here is a sneak peak:

image.thumb.png.ff97643ec76775cbf0f1634ad31b5072.png

Genius plan! 

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

Well...Beeple is the face of NFT (non-fungible token) based art...a blockchain data technique by which any digital content is established as ONE-OF-A-KIND.  So because of that, Beeple "one-a-day" art just made him very wealthy and sold at auction for $69Million -- probably because it was the first maybe?  

BTW: If you want to see Beeple uncut and unfiltered, catch him at the Corridor Digital channel on YouTube.  They also have a podcast on NFT's as well.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

• Guest unfeatured this topic