So, what are you guys hoping for in S24?

Mike A

It feels like MAXON really aims for fast working (C4D) and fast rendering (Redshift) at the moment, which is a direction I really approve of. I personally  want to work as fast as possible, which can be a bit tedious in 3D at times. The placement tools are absolutely perfect for that, I have spent so much time lining up stuff while setting up interiors this is absolutely great. It's mostly basic changes this time, that don't seem very fancy, but they are very thought-through from terms of workflow improvement. I can finally abandon the connecter software and do my tag searches for objects in the content browser, which is also great.
And I really think that ex-3DSMAX people will like that there is now a modifier stack.

Although of course they should be addressing the symmetry issue, but other than that I am quite happy with the new improvements. (Maybe the symmetry has become a meme inside the MAXON offices and they just find it funny? who knows)

image-asset.gif?format=500w

That new MAXON logo is a miserable designed by committee fail IMHO...

Quote (italics are mine):

"Senior Brand Manager...  designed the logo under the direction of MAXON’s executive team."

I think this is actually a very helpful and promising update. Very exciting future modelling things going on over in Scene Manager (Modifier Stack anyone?). Lovely new Viewport (Direct X at last) so no more jaggy poly lines, all the brilliant scatter and placement tools, (which people have been wanting for a while), the live dynamics of which are massively helpful, and rather a lot of very welcome smaller changes, fixes and improvements to existing every day / quality-of-life stuff. Personally, I like it.

CBR

anyone uses nodes interface with redshift?  it still not supports c4d shaders for redshift. i am still using xpresso interface for redshift mats. still all tutorials i see all shows/uses xpresso interface...  3 releases before MAXON buy redshift. and still not integrated fully...

also on the features page, lot of videos from r14 for showing features like sclupt.....its weird only for me???? you release s24's and features page contains a old videos about features. videos from r14..... yeah very innovative way to tell customers: " hey look at that. still same since r14 its like lada niva: goes ages but never changes..."

16 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I think this is actually a very helpful and promising update. Very exciting future modelling things going on over in Scene Manager (Modifier Stack anyone?). Lovely new Viewport (Direct X at last) so no more jaggy poly lines, all the brilliant scatter and placement tools, (which people have been wanting for a while), the live dynamics of which are massively helpful, and rather a lot of very welcome smaller changes, fixes and improvements to existing every day / quality-of-life stuff. Personally, I like it.

CBR

Dear Cerbera, I get your point but aren't you tired of "smaller changes and improvements"? Seems like the discussions are still very much the same year after year...We don't even have a working render engine anymore unless you are ok to wait the whole night for a still render like we used to 10 years ago. Looks like a sinking boat with passengers debating over the quality of their dinner. 

I dont understand, this has been the same things said over the past years, since the subscription model was adopted. 
"Hey, this is cool little quality of life improvements, I like it" . Yeah, I get it, maybe this will be useful on the long haul, but this is not a substantial improvement on the software core elements, this is again, eyecandy. "Hey, take these presets, and be happy buddy, now you can do this quickly without having to think too much" 

This is even more real when you look at our friendly neighbour, Blender, with constant updates, and amazingly implementing new technology, not just UI changes, with a much better frequency, and a sensation that they are ACTUALLY listening to its user base.
MAXON is doing none of that. This update was supposed to be "hey, you have switched to our subscription model, exchanged your nice and perpetual software and we are now holding your files at a cost, and should you wish to ever open this in the future, you better keep paying us, forever.. and ever...and..ever..." 

So now the process after this minimal update is the same: 
Pay again the maintance price for Redshift to have a compatible render engine to the latest update (Redshift who also have tunnel vision on their RT development and didnt improved much over the past year). 
Pay again for maintance for X-Particles to make sure it works with this last version...
Rinse and repeat for every other plugin you have bought and needs, again, a maintance payment. (because now every company love to milk you for subscription money, and it will be a bit too late for you, when you realise you own nothing, but are paying a LOT each month)

I have never felt so frustrated with a company before, and I feel like I'm being treated like an idiot, who is supposed to fork over any credit card I have to pay for this absurd price of a subscription, just so I can continue to open my files, having paid jobs or not. And at the same time, I should be actually happy and greatful for this, because... hey... 
- Grid fades based on distance (Hurraaayy) 

1 hour ago, Adrien said:

Dear Cerbera, I get your point but aren't you tired of "smaller changes and improvements"?

Well no, not really ! As primarily a traditional modeller, Cinema already does nearly everything I want it to (some notable exceptions remain, but most have adequate workarounds and I am quite patient), and continues to look better while it's doing it with every version ! Broadly speaking, they fixed modelling around R18, Nodal Materials arrived, Volume building got integrated, they fixed UVs more recently, Fields got introduced (which was fundamentally massive for me) and I have never hated Physical Render as much as everyone else seems to ! My renders in that don't take all night, and with a little optimisation and attention to settings I still get pretty reasonable times out of it, so am not even massively unhappy there ! 

I also quite like the tech preview approach because it means we can all hit the ground running when it's fully implemented, and see what the future has in store, which, for me at least is GENUINELY promising because it is a serious leap forward in terms of things I care about like procedural, and stack-based modelling and the idea of a single integrated nodal approach, as long as it doesn't happen at the expense of traditional modelling tools, which I hope always remain and are not neglected in the longer term.

So whilst yes, I understand the frustration that people feel about lack of big new exciting things in every version, I find my happiness with the program relies on that sort of thing less and less all the time it remains a supremely comfortable and familiar place to work. It's the little things that make me smile every day.

CBR

1 hour ago, SamC said:

Very Very bad choice to merge the time line with the slider ,

294345161_2948A5F4-C7A2-4EEA-8539-0EF9AB69E6FB.png.thumb.jpg.5c01066257a787d10d93a8808ca9353b.jpg

there is no more elegant way to arrange them back to the way they used to 

1192484847_30E5428C-6532-421B-830F-BC285626E927.png.thumb.jpg.b42b737100cf167bf297b215380fe292.jpg

Older versions ( R23........  ) looks more elegant  and saves space
603823458_0CC04D3B-2819-4431-9F4F-5BAB847EA1B3.png.thumb.jpg.b0fb040128bf64d51a70ee366c0ba234.jpg

also I love The new Icons
        I Hate the New Layout 

image.png

I agree with this UI timeline change and really dont understand all that unused space, but in the end I am not a designer.

49 minutes ago, FLima said:

and a sensation that they are ACTUALLY listening to its user base.

I really don't get where did you get the idea they don't listen. That's so not the case. Maxon have a lot of professionals who are beta testers and they are constantly engaged and listened. Also one can  only do so much in one cycle which is very short. Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean other 99% of the userbase hate it too. Every year is the same story, some hate some love and that's it. 

I am not defending Maxon but sometimes you guys think things comes so easy and just because Blender can do it Maxon must do it to. Well, there is a difference and developing a software which is 30y old and integrating new stuff to work with old things is not easy and requires more effort than usual. OpenGL to DirectX change  alone is massive effort and very risky, but they managed to do it and there is so much under the hood you dont see. At this point its really simple. If you don't like what happened in past two years, just switch to Blender and enjoy free software, which seems to be perfect. I personally switched to Houdini and while switching is not easy I believe if I continue like this, in next 6 months I will be proud Houdini semi guru. Its better to just switch than complain all the time and feel disappointed.

While you think there is nothing really new, I can tell you for sure huge effort was made to implement all that, regardless of what you think, its a simple fact and not always that straight forward. So that mindset if Blender can do it, really doesn't work here.

8 minutes ago, Igor said:

I really don't get where did you get the idea they don't listen. That's so not the case. MAXON have a lot of professionals who are beta testers and they are constantly engaged and listened. Also one can  only do so much in one cycle which is very short. Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean other 99% of the userbase hate it too. Every year is the same story, some hate some love and that's it. 

Yep, I'd have to second that. They really do listen, and there's a hell of a lot of people shouting for their attention, so I reckon they do quite well to listen as much as they do ! 😉

CBR

• Guest unfeatured this topic

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community