So, what are you guys hoping for in S24?

Mike A

1 hour ago, FLima said:

This "Behave and be positive" attitude really shows that deep down, the company is aware of which side on this issue is taking.
But if you shush and be quiet about it, you get a nice t-shirt, and they will plant a tree!

I'm afraid something got lost in translation. 

The message was and is that we want to encourage and cheer for any new opportunity for our artists to succeed, but we're also very aware of the environmental impact. We want to make a positive impact to counter the environmental effects of NFTs. As such we're making a donation to Treedom, which plants trees to offset carbon emissions. 

Perhaps a question that's been answered before, but:

As of S24, is it possible to take your Scene Nodes procedural geometric creation and copy, move, and/or transfer a copy of it as a static (i.e., no longer procedural/parametric) editable polygonal object that is visible to the Object Manager and has all of Cinema 4Ds features available for it? Basically, something similar to "Make Editable" for existing parametric objects.

3 minutes ago, RBarrett said:

I'm afraid something got lost in translation. 

The message was and is that we want to encourage and cheer for any new opportunity for our artists to succeed, but we're also very aware of the environmental impact. We want to make a positive impact to counter the environmental effects of NFTs. As such we're making a donation to Treedom, which plants trees to offset carbon emissions. 

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. 
But on my part, nothing really got lost on translation. it was pretty clear what the message was, but what agravated me the most was the "keep the positive attitude, lets not focus on the negative" mentality.

If you are trying to do something positive for the environment, in an attempt to offset all the harm that NFT is causing to it, then MAXON needs to be open to discuss this issue, obviously, in a open and civilized manner. But not discourage people from having a negative opinion about it. "Lets not focus on the negative" is not going to suddenly make this problem disappear, and planting trees, in an attempt to offset a little the harm NFT is causing, without actually discussing this issue, becomes a shallow PR attempt of pre-damage control if we dont talk about the "negative", and not really a genuine worry about global environment.

Furthermore, I dont think MAXON should be taking a stand on this, I know Beeple made the headlines everywhere, even outside the art world, but why this artist now became the biggest focus for MAXON, even creating a whole update on the software, targeting the kind of content that he creates? So why now, on top of all that, MAXON becomes an advocate for NFT? 

7 minutes ago, SharpEars said:

Perhaps a question that's been answered before, but:

As of S24, is it possible to take your Scene Nodes procedural geometric creation and copy, move, and/or transfer a copy of it as a static (i.e., no longer procedural/parametric) editable polygonal object that is visible to the Object Manager and has all of Cinema 4Ds features available for it? Basically, something similar to "Make Editable" for existing parametric objects.

I can’t remember the command name currently, but yes, you can convert the created geometry into a static standard poly object.

9 minutes ago, SharpEars said:

In the Node Editor - Edit Menu. Convert Current Scene State to Classic.

1 hour ago, FLima said:

Watching the live presentation on youtube from MAXON, was... an experience.
I've already given my opinion regarding what I thought of this update in previous pages, but it is clear that Beeple's artworks were a big influence on these new features.

Everything focused so we dont have to go on turbosquid and download premade assets, things are made much easier to produce quick instagram/NFT artwork and get those sweet ETH's. (Who cares about the evironment, the questionable scheme and unregulated system and questionable, very questionable taste of beeples artworks, am I right?) 
And hey, more artists making NFT's more chances to get the MAXON name out on the next million dollar purchase of NFT's? Sweet! 

But on top of all this,  the thing that upset me the most, was the "please, stay postive, be positive, have a positive attitude and we will reward you with a 'NFtee-shirt... '
It is by far, one of the most disgusting things I've seen so far. 
No MAXON, environment doesnt work like that, there is no such thing as "We guys, we should stop being negative about NFT's.. hey, LOOK, we are planting trees!" 
And attempting to treat us like obeying little boys and girls, attempting to discourage us of having a strong opinion.
And pretend we are impressed by your obvious attempt to disguise your sideing with NFT.

After 13 years using C4D, this is the biggest incentive I needed to move on to a different software. 
The subpar update on this expensive software alone was already a good reason by itself.
But on top of all that, having to hear "Hey, if you are a positive boy, we reward you with a t-shirt" it is... something else. 

This "Behave and be positive" attitude really shows that deep down, the company is aware of which side on this issue is taking.
But if you shush and be quiet about it, you get a nice t-shirt, and they will plant a tree!

And just for the sake of argument regarding Beeple. 
here are some of his artworks that were sold in his 69 million dollars NFT sale. 
https://news.artnet.com/opinion/beeple-everydays-review-1951656/amp-page?__twitter_impression=true

Hopefully MAXON doesnt focus on these works from Beeple for the next C4D update?

I don't know why you think NFT's are super bad for the environment. They are definitely not free, but they are also not Bitcoin. The people behind NFT are also ACTIVELY working towards an update to the Ethereum code (on which NFTs are based on iirc) so that it costs basically no electricity to process.

NFTs being insanely bad for the environment is a stupid lie that has been spouted around for weeks now.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

2 minutes ago, DasFrodo said:

I don't know why you think NFT's are super bad for the environment. They are definitely not free, but they are also not Bitcoin. The people behind NFT are also ACTIVELY working towards an update to the Ethereum code (on which NFTs are based on iirc) so that it costs basically no electricity to process.

NFTs being insanely bad for the environment is a stupid lie that has been spouted around for weeks now.

I dont really feel like getting into the NFT debate here as of, right now, it is certain that it does have an negative effect on the environment (the only uncertainty is the actual amount of damage, as it varies from many different sources of this information). But of course, you can also see the good news about NFT's (which are usually conveniently shared by Opensea and any other website that operates with it), But if NFT's are not bad for the environment, why is MAXON suddenly decided to plant trees? Suddenly Global Warming became a concern? 

Right now, NFT is a cloudy and touchy subject, you obviosly have your stance on it, and I have mine, and that is perfectly fine. I will not try to change your mind about it, and you wont change mine either. But my point is, I dont want to be discussing about it on a software release, the software that I rely on with my professional life? And I really have an issue when a company focus so much on this kind of thing, and on a specific professional, that suddenly, an entire update of this software is around this!

1 minute ago, FLima said:

I dont really feel like getting into the NFT debate here as of, right now, it is certain that it does have an negative effect on the environment (the only uncertainty is the actual amount of damage, as it varies from many different sources of this information). But of course, you can also see the good news about NFT's (which are usually conveniently shared by Opensea and any other website that operates with it), But if NFT's are not bad for the environment, why is MAXON suddenly decided to plant trees? Suddenly Global Warming became a concern? 

Right now, NFT is a cloudy and touchy subject, you obviosly have your stance on it, and I have mine, and that is perfectly fine. I will not try to change your mind about it, and you wont change mine either. But my point is, I dont want to be discussing about it on a software release, the software that I rely on with my professional life? And I really have an issue when a company focus so much on this kind of thing, and on a specific professional, that suddenly, an entire update of this software is around this!

I see where you're coming from and I understand what you mean. Thing is, nowadays caring about the environment is the hip thing to do for companies. One might even use the term greenwashing. That said, I think every bit of environmental protection that is actually being done is a good thing in my book. 

I can very clearly distinguish between a company and their product, I can do the same for an artist and his art. So honestly said, I don't give a damn what MAXON associate themselves with unless it's way out of taste. I think you know what I mean with that. That said, I do understand if you can't or don't want to distinguish between the two.

One more thing on NFTs: What bothers me about this entire thing is that we're in a field that uses TONS of energy. I mean, we're literally throwing 100% usage CPUs and GPUs at pixels until there's a pretty image at the end. To me that is not far from what NFTs are doing. They are the result of a problem in the digital space and I can't wait to see how this stuff develops. That said, I think it's important to invest in a system that isn't as wasteful as it is right now.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

11 minutes ago, DasFrodo said:

Good point.  We all get focused on something new while missing the most common.  Anybody know how much power a data center pumps out?  Huge.  And they are everywhere.  Want to lower carbon emissions?  Log off of Twitter and Facebook.  Also shut your cell phone off because those things are constantly talking to the network and all that conversation takes power.  True...not as much as a render farm pumping out digital art but there are millions of cell phones out there so it adds up.

I would love to see those voices most concerned about carbon emissions turn their attention to the impact cell phones and the data centers behind social media platforms have on the environment.  That puts their cause squarely in their back yard to control and the sacrifice required to personally do something about even closer.

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

9 minutes ago, adamfilip said:

Curious why no redshift assets are included in Asset browser by default?

RS isn’t part of Cinema 4D.

Also a very important difference of the new Asset System compared to the old Content Is that single assets can be installed easily at any time. If MAXON decides at any time to make new Assets available it can be done easily.

15 minutes ago, hikarubr said:

Serious question about 1:

Why not? We have been asking for real symmetry for years. if it is not possible to implement it for some reason (e.g. new core, etc...) I would imagine that you guys could at least include a symmetry function in the scene nodes.

I'm actually puzzled why you guys didn't. 

Sorry, i have no idea. I was not involved in any discussion on this since my tasks are rather specialized. The current main functions of the geometry nodes in scene nodes reflect the existing functionality of the new modeling core, since that does not include any new symmetry function it is not in the nodes as well.

• Guest unfeatured this topic

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community