So, what are you guys hoping for in S24?

Mike A

34 minutes ago, Igor said:

On the other hand I think you pay this price only once, and the you pay for upgrades, which are around 800$? I am not sure but something around that. So if I am not wrong, if you would buy R23 now for 3500$, R25 would cost you around 800$ and you get everything thats included in S24, plus another SP. At least this is how I see things at the moment, I could be wrong.

Yes, it does make sense this. 
But the $800 should be a gateway for more of a "hey, do you want this shiny new features? This is the price"
And honestly, after paying the full price for a perpetual..yeah, it could be steep, but it would be worth it still (if these features are of interest to you that is).

But the $800 shouldnt be "hey, do you wanna be able to use... copy paste on the animation timeline for your work without a problem? Pay up"
The software itself, should continue to have support for at least a year. If there is a giant issue on the software in the mean time, it needs to be fixed within this time!
But what MAXON is currently doing, is not treating nicely people who invested on this full license last september... 

This is not okay.

27 minutes ago, FLima said:

I am bafled quite honestly that not many people are being vocal and upset about this. 
This is anti-consumer practice at its finest.

Back when the MSAs were cancelled and subscriptions pushed, the direct consequences and not so direct implications were clear, I did rage against the sidelining of Perpetuals. But I was told that subscriptions are the best thing since Jesus appearing on burnt toast (for studios, of course) and that it was the future, and ultimately it didn't matter, and I got accustomed to the fact that I would not grow old and die with C4D. Not only was it possible that MAXON kills the Perpetuals altogether, there are many more issues with permanent online activation, but all of that was thoroughly discussed and examined at the time.

From then on, keeping Cinema was a constant question mark that is renewed with every new version. So far, MAXON's (recent) concentration on character animation in the R23 and S24 updates keep me sufficiently interested. This may or may not get me to update (until MAXON doesn't offer Perpetuals any more, in which case the question is moot). In any case, there's still Blender.

The business direction of software development has taken a wrong turn many years ago, that's nothing new. Just like so many other grand topics that shall not find an audience here. Mr. World will inevitably destroy humanity, but short of toppling the current socioeconomic infrastructure, nothing will change our demise. And even if you manage the latter, humans' primitive ape brains are evolutionary too rooted in the necessities and strategies of the stone age to commit to anything better. Fools off stage left, curtain.

Rage, rage against the dying of the light...

24 minutes ago, Cairyn said:

Back when the MSAs were cancelled and subscriptions pushed, the direct consequences and not so direct implications were clear, I did rage against the sidelining of Perpetuals. But I was told that subscriptions are the best thing since Jesus appearing on burnt toast (for studios, of course) and that it was the future, and ultimately it didn't matter, and I got accustomed to the fact that I would not grow old and die with C4D. Not only was it possible that MAXON kills the Perpetuals altogether, there are many more issues with permanent online activation, but all of that was thoroughly discussed and examined at the time.

From then on, keeping Cinema was a constant question mark that is renewed with every new version. So far, MAXON's (recent) concentration on character animation in the R23 and S24 updates keep me sufficiently interested. This may or may not get me to update (until MAXON doesn't offer Perpetuals any more, in which case the question is moot). In any case, there's still Blender.

The business direction of software development has taken a wrong turn many years ago, that's nothing new. Just like so many other grand topics that shall not find an audience here. Mr. World will inevitably destroy humanity, but short of toppling the current socioeconomic infrastructure, nothing will change our demise. And even if you manage the latter, humans' primitive ape brains are evolutionary too rooted in the necessities and strategies of the stone age to commit to anything better. Fools off stage left, curtain.

Rage, rage against the dying of the light...

Honestly, I was pretty upset until I read this.. (best thing since Jesus appearing on burnt toast) haha
Thanks for this. 

And yes, you are right. I am on the minority here, upset at a very clear giant issue... 
But I will take that as my cue to leave, and wish people who remain with C4D the best.

Loved the philosophical ending to your text by the way. 

9 hours ago, Igor said:

Well, then you get performance issues because those still needs to render out as previews. So what you would choose, performance or convenience? 

Performance I can buy.. Add another GPU.. more Ram.. Convenience might actually save me more time, . I have Multiple GPU.. Use one for renderview.. use the 2nd for previews and when done join the renderview crunch.

After my firsttry in S24 arised the question:

Why aren't the placement tools linked with Mograph? For example with effectors? Wouldn't it be senseful to paint clones and not a new poly system or to have the choice? Suprised the system are not combined.

The tween tool is awesome. As are the rest of animation tools.

34 minutes ago, Marander said:

Even though I have R21, I don't use it because when I don't use it regularly it loses the login credentials and I have to look for my password again.

I didn't hink that that would be a great deal for me, but actually this also is true for me.

59 minutes ago, Marander said:

As a hobbyist I'm not interested in renting software, I want to be able to use them whenever and wherever I want at a fixed one-time cost (except for maintenance for perpetual software which I can stop at any time and still use the software).

I could have quoted your entire post, as I agree 100% with all you mentioned.

Couldn't have said it better.

I stayed out of the discussion until now, as I feel you now have voiced exactly what is on my mind, and wanted to support your message.

While I regret not having some of the new features, I am more than happy of using R20 without its periodical need to connect and validate its license.

1 hour ago, Marander said:

MAXON as a company with the new management and policy lost all charm for me....

Online documentation, online asset library, subscription-only features (even including plugins like CV Tokens), no Cineversity for perpetual license owners, MAXON's way of obscuring the rental cost with tax and annual payments, hiding the perpetual upgrade cost, limited bugfix support, that all draws a clear picture to me, not my thing. As someone mentioned, I feel the same, MAXON joined the dark side.

A sad + 1 from me.

And I do have to say that I very much agree with Flima. Selling a $3,500 software and effectively supporting it with bug fixes for just a month or two (until SP1) is unacceptable. A perpetual purchaser / upgrader should be entitled to at least 2 or 3 bug fix rounds IMO - a minimum of 12 months active bug fixing support.

On 4/13/2021 at 4:50 PM, srek said:

PRS operations on OpNodes/Objects are possible interactively in the viewport.

Ah ok.  The thing I REALLY don't like is that I can't dock the Add nodes dialog.  Can only double click to have it floating.  That's really not C4D UI Standard. 

***EDIT*** Ignore me... I am an idiot the dialog is actually a pop up version of the new Asset manager ( nodes tab ) so all is awesome again.    I can just dock that into the Scene editor. 

30 minutes ago, prowl said:

Ah ok.  The thing I REALLY don't like is that I can't dock the Add nodes dialog.  Can only double click to have it floating.  That's really not C4D UI Standard. 

***EDIT*** Ignore me... I am an idiot the dialog is actually a pop up version of the new Asset manager ( nodes tab ) so all is awesome again.    I can just dock that into the Scene editor. 

I was just gonna reply but you beat me to it 😂

• Guest unfeatured this topic

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community