ACES is an absolute Gamechanger

DasFrodo

I have no idea why I avoided this so long for a little inconvenience of setting it up and using it. The results are insane. I am not even colorgrading my renders and they look like they just went to an entire higher level. Especially the colors.

I urge everyone to have a look at it and integrate it into their workflows when possible. As I said, I haven't colorgraded with it yet but it doesn't seem to be that much of a pain for way, way better results.

Here's some comparison shots. Top is always sRGB, bottom is ACES. Look at these juicy colors!

Astartes_sRGB.thumb.jpg.7ca6eb5ffeabcbe149a218fc7167bc4f.jpg

Astartes_ACES.thumb.jpg.ffde0e992d9bded9e9d7bf73e4fe173b.jpg

Lines_sRGB.thumb.jpg.c7cde362cc3085a33e5899cd97096358.jpg

Lines_ACES.thumb.jpg.bf85db031a318af182965dd2f9ab1530.jpg

Voronoi_sRGB.thumb.jpg.d5bea650d6e832a3b09b9f7f3fce602c.jpg

Voronoi_ACES.thumb.jpg.c856209d72f987a9727f1dfd02b4e20e.jpg

Here's a video on how to set it up with Redshift: 

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

well ACES is a great Color system. ACES is just the system. the colorspace is ACEScg, ACEScc, RAC709 and so on. 

The only two renders that support ACEScg are Arnold and Octane. Redshift work on a full OCIO ACES integration.

There is a work around in Cinema 4D and Redshift to output ACES (sRGB) ACES (reg709) yet but you need a convert node between the color and the material input. 

ACEScg.jpg

7 minutes ago, CDALive said:

well ACES is a great Color system. ACES is just the system. the colorspace is ACEScg, ACEScc, RAC709 and so on. 

The only two renders that support ACEScg are Arnold and Octane. Redshift work on a full OCIO ACES integration.

There is a work around in Cinema 4D and Redshift to output ACES (sRGB) ACES (reg709) yet but you need a convert node between the color and the material input. 

To be honest that whole topic is just too confusing. Renderman have gazillion color spaces or whatever they are called to choose from once you install ACES or OCIO, or whatever all of that is. 😄 

1 minute ago, Igor said:

To be honest that whole topic is just to confusing. Renderman have gazillion color spaces or whatever they are called to choose from once you install ACES or OCIO, or whatever all of that is. 😄 

actualy it is simple, ACES is just the  System. a kind of an universal converter. So you can bring every color space from every camera into that system and the color grading is the same dosn't matter what input you bring in.  ACES the System is only in Postproduction. Renderings is ACEScg or ACEScc. So it is a great system for 3D and VFX stuff.

In the Filmproduction you film with different Cameras and the output is HD, SHD or UHD so the Color space of that cameras is very big . So ACES is not a must go in the Movie production.

for CG it is a game changer for sure.

Ok how I can be sure something has support for ACES. Is rec709 something I look for...because this is how it look within RM.

image.png

image.png

These are the options I can select from right now. If I install OCIO I have gazilion more of them. But do I need them or this is enough?

8 minutes ago, Igor said:

Ok how I can be sure something has support for ACES. Is rec709 something I look for...because this is how it look within RM.

image.png

image.png

These are the options I can select from right now. If I install OCIO I have gazilion more of them. But do I need them or this is enough?

rec709 was the most used output for TV. the output for PC screen is still sRGB. but you can output (render out) as rec709 and in the post make the color grading in rec709 and than use gamut back to sRGB for PC or stay in reg709 or reg2020 for TV.  so in you case the input is sRGB and the output is rec709. in Postproduction the input is rec709 and the output whatever is needed for.

3 hours ago, CDALive said:

ACEScg.jpg

Since I use the new C4D node system in Redshift, I could not use this node but I just rebuilt it in the new system 😉 So the renders above did indeed have the correct colors on the textures and constant colors. If anyone can tell me where I can find that preset in my files I can upload it to the system.

And what you are describing here is exactly what I did. As much as I could gather from all the information on the internet: if you use OCIO in Redshift this way you get basically the same level of ACES support that Octane and Arnold have. You can even export an ACES *.exr 16bit file via beauty AOV (as described in the video in the first post).

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

• Guest featured this topic
  • Guest unfeatured this topic

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community