Automatically generating complimentary colours ...

Metier

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to automatically generate complimentary colours based on a single user selected colour.

I'm using Redshift & ideally I'd like to be able to create one colour (e.g. within one colour constant node) which in turn somehow automatically populates several other colour constant nodes with complimentary colour values for use with a multishader node / other materials.

If anyone has any ideas on how to achieve this - or where to even start with this kind of thing - that would be great.

Thanks for your time 🙂

I don't think you need scripting for this. All you'd need to do is make a Node with a color input and two color outputs. You feed your "base color" in and internally all you need to do is some math (shifting the H value in the HUE space by 180°). That automatically get's you to the other side of the color wheel which is the complementary color. You can then output that and bam, you made yourself a node that gives you complementary colors that you can straight up use in the graph.

EDIT: You could even generate even more colors like this. You could scale the saturiation three times and output different saturation values, you could calculate "neighbour" colors this way. Many possibilities.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram