Dead end with building new workstation

I am about to build my first workstation mainly for C4D with Octane render.

The concerns:

- RTX 3090's are unavailable at this moment and got really expensive compare to their release price which was as I remember less than the half.

- On the other hand Apple rumours suggest to wait for the new M1X (?), but Octane plugin  is not yet supported.

Now I am working with a MBP M1 with physical render but I want to start working and learn Octane.

A solution would be to  work with M1 the main scene and finalise it in https://irendering.net so to start working in Octane for 3.8$/hour.

Do you think that this makes sense?

Any suggestions?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well unfortunately GPUs won't be available any time soon.

If you're okay with it though, getting a prebuilt is mostly a better option right now since these PC builders have easier access to these CPUs than the average consumer has. I wouldn't bet on Mac in any way, they have show again and again that they don't give a about their professional users. Not to mention for that money you might as well buy a 3090 from a scalper.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

2 minutes ago, DasFrodo said:

getting a prebuilt

any suggestions?

2 minutes ago, DasFrodo said:

I wouldn't bet on Mac in any way, they have show again and again that they don't give a about their professional users

I believe so but since they made C4D instanty available and with the new processor there may be a small chance that this will change? will see..

As I had a small chat with Octane support and they wrote me that they are working on the native support of M1 with surprising good results..

They about to release in the following months the update.

5 minutes ago, DasFrodo said:

Not to mention for that money you might as well buy a 3090 from a scalper.

I am pretty sure that sooner or later the RTX 4090 will be out even though 3090 haven't been on the shelves normally yet..

Just now, Reino said:

any suggestions?

Not really no. I always built my PCs. Depends on the country as well. Should be relatively easy to find out though.

with surprising good results..

That's just PR speak for "we expected worse performance" 😉

Could still be running like absolute dogpoo.

I am pretty sure that sooner or later the RTX 4090 will be out even though 3090 haven't been on the shelves normally yet..

Apparently ASUS expects the global electronics shortage to get better around the second half of 2021.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

i wouldn't bet too much on apple. even if they get everything working magically, it'll still be very first gen.. 

maybe just get a lower end GPU for now? 3060? 2060?

or if you are going the laptop route, check out Razer laptops?

1 hour ago, DasFrodo said:

Unfortunately that's not even an option. 1660is are costing what 3070is / 3080is would usually cost.

correct that's why this is a dead end situation. There no options to build a workstation right now..

What about the work in the cloud like irendering? How effective can this be in this certain unusual period?

Would you suggest something like this since there is no other way to build a PC and start working with Octane? 

So after a while and thoughts, I ordered the following RIG. 

Motherboard: Asus ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X

CPU COOLER: Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix

GPU: Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity OC

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB, DDR4, 128GB), 4000MHz

SSD: Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 Gen4

PSU: VGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 

CASE: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P 

MONITOR:  BenQ PD2700U

what do you think?

The only thing I'd investigate is the performance of that CPU cooler with Threadripper. Typical AIO's have a relatively small cooling plate compared to the large IHS of Threadripper.  I'm waiting to build a similar system and am seriously considering the IceGiant ProSiphon Elite. That has good performance and an appropriately sized plate.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community