The sky is falling...maybe...?

Hello guys!

I'm trying to get a better handle on voronoi fracture, but I cannot seem to get past the dynamics of the scene. I've yet to build the scene, but what I'm looking for is, most often referred to as a superhero landing. I'd like to be able to incorporate a voronoi fracture plane (or cube) where an impact cracks the ground and ejects debris. I'm comfortable with voronoi fracture at this point, but every time that I have tried to use it in this manner, I seem to miss something. When I drop a sphere from the sky and it hits the ground, the sphere DOES impact and cause the fracture...but then, it just keeps falling.

Now, I've tried adding a plane below a cube (my ground object) with dynamics....but I simply cannot figure this out!

Here's a link to what I'd like to do, except I'd like to build the entire thing in C4D and omit working in Adobe After Effects. Can you help an old man out?
(

Edited by Cerbera
removed formatting (see edit history)

wasn't quite sure what you had an issue with, fracture parts not rising up, or sphere traveling through floor ?

Getting the fracture parts to move up seems to be better achieved if you bash them from underneath ( file below ) so weather you need the sphere to dynamically stop or not depends on how its set up I guess. A gazillion variables going on with the dynamics combined with the size / shape / speed of collision object.

maybe post a scene file or cutdown / test version for a specific issue

Deck

Screenshot 2021-04-14 at 10.01.23.png

Voronoi floor crack 01.c4d

Thank you so much for the reply!

I'm currently at this exact point of the project that you uploaded (Thank you VERY much for that by the way. Above and beyond what I anticipated). The fragments, ideally would look similar to dropping a very heavy object from above onto a reasonably brittle surface. Imagine a large terracotta plane about 1" thick. Now, drop a 100 lb. solid steel ball falling from about 20 feet. The sphere is easy enough to hide, but the fragments should explode outward from the point of impact. I tried a spherical field to maintain the larger chunks, keeping some of them in the resulting crater under the weight of the object, but I cannot be sure that a spherical field is the best way to limit the range and connectivity to surrounding pieces that broke off of the main object...but were still a bit too heavy to launch outward. Does that make any sense at all? It's kind of hard to explain.

What you say makes sense, Im just not sure you can translate all those real world theories to C4D dynamics. In terms of some pieces moving and others still, when you finally get your pieces in a shape your happy with you can use multiple voronois and hide different pieces from each one, or make editable and delete pieces.

Im not an expert by any means but I think your gonna struggle to get the effect by dropping something from above, and your steel ball may in real life just punch a clean hole thru your terracotta that would depend on many variables too.

You could add an attractor with a negative number to push the parts away from the hole, once again the shape and speed of the impact has a huge effect. So many parameters to tweak I would have thought you could get close but it could take ages to find that sweet spot.

File with attractor below.

Deck

Screenshot 2021-04-15 at 10.19.04.png

Voronoi floor crack 02.c4d

There a bit mesmerising these voronoi explosions, here's another tweak with a skirt on the cone to help lift them up, Ive also added two more matrix in the source field to have smaller pieces in the middle, and cranked the damping right up.

Starts to get a bit of the debris falling around the hole.

Great fun

Deck

Screenshot 2021-04-15 at 16.08.12.png

Screenshot 2021-04-15 at 16.17.33.png

Voronoi floor crack 06.c4d

That is EXACTLY what I did on this end too! This works really well for what I need! I'm just going to give this an hour or so to tweak and tune so I find that sweet spot. Thank you SO much for all of your help. This is really helpful. You are appreciated!

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community