S24 DirectX viewport for Windows.

Just now, traycaa said:

Hi,

So with the S24 update, the viewport hardware acceleration has been changed from Opengl to DirectX. 

I'm wondering what the reason for the change is? Better performance with DirectX maybe?

Well, long story short...everything is better with DX as OGL is very old. 🙂 

Hi

Well, i dont know if you already tested this new viewport, but i find it much less responsive than R23. A simple test: just create a cloner and a sphere in a grid 30x30x30 (instance mode). The R23 will be a bit slow but responsive and you can orbit around the object with no problems. S24 its like 10 times slower just to process the grid and the orbit is wayy slower. 

i'm a bit disapointed. I was hoping directx would kickass but right now R23 has the fastest viewport. Also tested with a sculpt scene with an object with 9million polys and in this case the performance was similar between the two versions. Once again S24 showed no improvements.

Perhaps since this is the first version with directx, things are not well optimized and i hope a future patch can restore at least R23 performance.

cheers

2 minutes ago, jbatista said:

Perhaps since this is the first version with directx, things are not well optimized and i hope a future patch can restore at least R23 performance.

As being a first iteration, improvements will come for sure. That just nature of developing complex software and not an easy task to do. Just number of different hardware people can have, ugh...the pain of development.

I was just wandering if that was just me or if someone else experienced that problem. In a wider search i found more people complaining of the same. So i guess its probably something that will be fixed in the future. I have a pretty decent machine with a 3070RTX card and 1070gtx at my studio pc with the same issues. So its pointless to blame both setups if the problem persists. I shall wait a little more. R23 for now is getting the job done.

I have not found that to be honest... earlier today I was zipping round cloner scenes with similar numbers of clones in them, and I am using the max 8x MSAA. But whenever I go over 10,000 objects I know it's time for multi-instances, and S24 delivers great VP response for me (almost real time) if I set the mode to that with 27,000 sphere clones.

Now I would expect that to slow down drastically if we remained in straight instance mode, but that's the case in R23 too I think, and I am getting similar frame rates in both.

What is a more notable difference is the total absence of the dreaded R23 VGA driver crashes, which (touch wood) seem to have been all but eliminated by the change to Direct X.

I have had S24 open for 6 days of almost constant use now without a single crash, freeze or restart, so I find myself much much happier working in S24, even if it transpires the VP is slightly slower in certain circumstances... TBH I'll take a speed cut there to have the silky smooth, utterly jaggy-free polylines.

This is interesting, because I have the same processor as you, and a VGA card that is about half way between your 2, so no idea why my performance seems fine and yours and others not...

CBR

• 3 months later...

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community