Printing a rigged character model

Hi guys,

this is my first post on the new site, it looks good.

A few years ago I modelled a cartoon elephant for an animation for my Grand Daughter. I built the model rig myself as the quadruped rig supplied with C4D does not have a trunk. So I have a rigged character model which I can pose.

I would like to print the elephant model in different poses but I am not sure how to create the STL files. My first thoughts are to apply a current state object to the model mesh whilst it is in the pose I want, then to remove the rig and save the mesh as a STL file. 

I am busy making VW Camper models with lots of accessories to sell, and modelling a Lambretta scooter at the moment. My Grand Daughter's Birthday is in August so I have plenty of time before I will be making the prints.

I would very much appreciate if someone could confirm if my idea will work or guide me on how to print a posed model.

TomAlex 

Well the good news is that there are only a few rules we need to follow for 3D printing.

1. Mesh must be one continuous closed volume.

2. Phong doesn't apply, so that will need to be very high res / dense topology (ie any subdivision should be applied at L3 or 4).

You should be fine to CStO and export stl directly, providing that the program you are using to print with can read and doesn't have issues with the files created.

Feel free to upload the scene file or provide wireframe screenshots of the actual model in question so we can check its suitability for you if you remain unsure...

CBR

Thank you CERBERA,

The slicer I am using LYCHEE SLICER, it is by far the best software for 3D Print at present. However they could certainly learn a few things from 3D Modelling software such as C4D. I guess the resin printing is still in its infancy so things can only get better.

I have been printing my own designed models since last November so I'm up to speed handling my meshes.

When I have printed and painted the model I will upload some pics.

Cheers TomAlex

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note.

I tried Current State to Object and it didn't work. So I messed around for a while trying different things, eventually trying Connect & Delete with the whole rig and mesh, which worked a treat.

I'm waiting for a flex plate for my printer as soon as it arrives I'll try a print.

TomAlex

• 3 months later...

As promised here are a couple of pics. I used false eyelashes for Elle's eye lashes ( not easy to do but they were well worth it). She is about 19cm in length and 13cm high with felt pads under her feet.

I had to reduce the polygon structure down to no subsurface division as the tiny polygons just end up being "bad polygons". This meant a lot of sanding but I am sure my Grand Daughter will be pleased with the results.

I need to look into how artists produce miniature models for print. My guess is that Cinema 4D's Sculpt handles tiny polygons more effectively at a smaller scale.   

20210812_130947.jpg

20210812_131003.jpg