Hobbyist Sketchbook

hobbyist

• Customer

I think the embedded worked?

This is short WIP animation I've been working on the last few weeks. I asked my friend if I could make some 3D version of his companies 2D logo. 

Another friend of mind modelled the pod and I put the shots together in C4D-Octane. 

I got some great feedback from one of the classmates of Lights, Camera, Render course about adding some flashes or more sparks outside the pod window. Also on adding more roughness or burn marks to the material. So I'll be working on those next. 

Sure let me know if any other suggestions or critique be much appreciated. 

Render times for the first 2 shots were about 4 - 10 seconds per frame. For the other shots with heavy VDB they were about 4 - 9 mins per frame. I possibly could optimise the scenes better maybe. 

I rendered out with Octane ACES but think I messed up because I didn't apply any further color correction in AE or AP. Maybe I'm  supposed to make them ACES too or something? 

That's some GOOD stuff! I Love the first shot, especially together with the sound.

Two things:

• The "entry" particle effect could use either way, way more particles or more motion blur. Maybe the particles are just too slow?
  • The "out of the window" view is unfortunately a little low poly 😕

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

2 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

That's some GOOD stuff! I Love the first shot, especially together with the sound.

Two things:

• The "entry" particle effect could use either way, way more particles or more motion blur. Maybe the particles are just too slow?

Basically what Rene said. But man, you leveled up!!! 😊 Keep up the good work!!!!!

• Customer
5 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

Two things:

Awesome Das! Yeah my mate said similar about the entry particles to maybe speed up that one. I'll try a couple of different things like more and faster.

The window view I think it's a combo of roughness on the window and a noise reduction I applied in post that's making the view way more blurred. The image below is the C4D render which the glass is blurred already. I might remove that roughness or reduce it. Will try render out the Window with alpha and the clouds separately because that was around 9 min per frame.

image.thumb.png.e276078e19ce3553634a0b7443386b1f.png

2 hours ago, Igor said:

Basically what Rene said. But man, you leveled up!!! 😊 Keep up the good work!!!!!

Nice one Igor!

Yeah man I'll happily be a volunteer shill for EJ & David Ariew's School of Motion C4D courses 😇. Completely opened up how to approach 3D for me. Great thing is it's stuff that can be applied across any software. Still 3 lessons to finish on that which I'll be tackling after I get this one done. 

• Customer

I redone shot 2 with increase in particles, faster wind, faster pod animation and motion blur. Also enabled ACES in AE correctly this time so will have that in place for the finished piece

• Customer
3 hours ago, Igor said:

Looks good, not sure that change was necessary. For my eyes both looks good. 🙂

Ha, yeah I feel the same actually. With the first shot it's causing me issues. I might put ACES on hold for a bit and use it on a project from the start rather than trying to fit it into something almost finished.

• Customer

Removed one of the roughness shaders from the window and added made the clouds more defined. 

I was going to add sparks to this shot as a continuation from the previous shot but was experiencing a lot of crashes and just fired it off to render. It was a 9 hour render with 500 samples in Octane. 

I'll cut this shot a bit short in the final version just before the cloud comes through the window where it's pretty noticeable.

Ideally I wanted to split the window from the clouds as separate renders which would have allowed me add more comp elements but it would have made this too long a render than what I could afford. Maybe some stage in future will do it.

Uf, 9h render, that hurts. But its definitely a improvement. Still a bit noticeable rough poly edges, but not that much. I also think few drops of water could be added there as now you are in the clouds.

• Customer
42 minutes ago, Igor said:

Uf, 9h render, that hurts. But its definitely a improvement. Still a bit noticeable rough poly edges, but not that much. I also think few drops of water could be added there as now you are in the clouds.

Oh yeah I was thinking of applying Travis Davids raindrop material on the window but decided against it. I was trying to see if I could do a render pass with the water material on the window and then comp that in but I couldn't figure it out at all. 

I've learned a lot on this one and know some big areas I missed. Really have to practice UV's and multi-pass as I couldn't figure out a bunch of stuff over the weekend.

I'm sure I'll come back to this one again with the different feedback I've gotten and apply it. For the moment though I'll put these current shots together after work today and call it final.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community