Hobbyist Sketchbook

hobbyist

• Customer
7 minutes ago, DasFrodo said:

Inspiring stuff man! Thanks again for posting this.

Now I feel like doing something like this myself 😄

Thanks a million Das! I hope you manage better render times than me! 😅

Yeah I'll be trying a few more sci-fi themed shorts over next few months. Used this as a kind of dry-run for other projects. Really want to get some nice cloud shots, but see how it goes 🤞 

• Customer

I applied the Travis Davids raindrops to the window and think it works. They're not tale-able so scaling made it kind of break. Left it at default with some rotation on axis. Done really low-res test render @20 seconds per frame using 20 samples. Applied denoiser plugins in AE. I might have set samples in Octane previously when it was taking 9+ mins per frame. Will see how low can get away with for the last render.

Wow! What a fantastic job Hobbyist. Makes me want to see more. I was hoping it would land and a little alien would pop out, but what you have looks awesome.  Did you make the background stars/nebula or is it an image? I can never seem to make space look like space, but I even noticed a little motion blur to the stars at the beginning. Great job!

• Customer
2 hours ago, Unstable said:

Wow! What a fantastic job Hobbyist. Makes me want to see more. I was hoping it would land and a little alien would pop out, but what you have looks awesome.  Did you make the background stars/nebula or is it an image? I can never seem to make space look like space, but I even noticed a little motion blur to the stars at the beginning. Great job!

Thanks a million!

Yeah I had to reign in the ideas a bit when I seen how long the cloud renders were taking. I guess the issue was all I knew I wanted was some space thing with the Pod. The clouds were originally going to be just in the distance on entry but I didn't like how the texturing was looking for that so just thought I'd focus on the clouds and end it there too.

This is previz I done. Originally I wanted to build out an environment with World Creator and have the pod flying down there

One of first renders of I done of the pod but opted for a cleaner texture. In hindsight I think I should have stuck with worn look

Image3.thumb.png.afd47dbec5ab88919742d6ca09142ada.png

Then this was initial rough idea for down on planet with WC

Image12.thumb.png.9093df5641ac3595e7756dbb7ed84611.png

Sorry, went on bit of tangent there!

So the stars/nebula are two HDRI's combined. The nebula fractal is using one of The French Monkey's Fractal Domes. I think when I switched to ACES for that first shot got nice dark color in background. Yeah I have motion blur enabled in Octane of 0.02 for the 24fps. On the LCR course this is covered in super detail, really big eye opener for me.

Then the star map is one from NASA or I might have used the one from LCR course. You could even make star map using noise in Photoshop.

Well done with the improvement mate. Now for the next one how about some cloud interaction or some engine smoke? Or engine is totally dead or without power? 

• Customer
1 hour ago, Igor said:

Well done with the improvement mate. Now for the next one how about some cloud interaction or some engine smoke? Or engine is totally dead or without power? 

Cheers Igor!

So I'm parking this one for a while and moving onto next project! :compEnjoy:

There are a bunch of areas to improve on this one like adding worn material to the pod, end shot with the title and I didn't think about smoke trail but that makes sense alright. 

For the moment I'll take these on board as lessons learned & come back to at future date. 

If I posted earlier in the process it'd been easier to apply the feedback, just have limited time to get through other stuff.

I have 3 homework's for the course to finish then I want to work on a short animation for Christmas if I can.

I'm doing storyboard and animatic over the weekend, nothing fancy just basic shapes to get timing down to soundtrack. Will post here what I get it done

• Customer
1 hour ago, EAlexander said:

Nice work! That atmosphere break with sparks is 🔥🔥🔥

Thanks a million! Loving your renders too! 

• Customer
1 hour ago, Igor said:

As personal project or?

Oh yeah totally personal project! I hope I can pull it off so I'm going to try anyway 🙏

• 1 month later...
  • Customer

I just got this piece finished. It's Homework 7 from David Ariew's School of Motion course "Lights, Camera, Render!". 

Such a massive learning experience this has been. Spent a longer than planned on this one. I think a lot of the issues I ran into were caused by myself ticking boxes in error. 

Have to say everything about this course has been awesome, from David been extremely generous with his time and knowledge to the classmates on the course. Some outstanding artists and really great to be on this journey with them.

Some feedback I got on this was around adding some optical flares in comp and the road pattern is noticeably repetitive from the distant camera's. I'll come back to this at a future date to apply them. Just need a few days break.