LOVE DEATH + ROBOTS VOLUME 2

Guest Igor

17 minutes ago, Icecaveman said:

Is the series a collection of different directors and artists? That's merely my assumption...I am curious to know.

It is.

As far as I know, Netflix is basically approaching different studios and telling them to do something they like, which is why this stuff is often very experimental.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

I have to say the first series surprised me with his varied it was and the animations were amazing even though some of them were a little violent for my taste. Cruelty has always and still does sell for reasons in our nature but it is not something I find entertaining as  a rule. So I am hoping for maybe something a little lighter overall this time. 

Wow...very glad to see that people do object to the violence.    The first episode in Season 1 was like the gut check for the casual viewer as I found the violence extremely gory and over the top.  If you can make it through that episode, then you can probably handle the rest.  Though I must admit it took me two attempts to get through it.  Had it been live action, I would have turned it off for good but because it was CG I had to give it a second attempt because it was that good.

Now, I subscribe to the rule that just because you can do it in CG does NOT mean that you should.  Crushing a women's head to pulp and then probing the crushed flesh with a cane really did nothing to further the story in that first episode.  But some artists feel that they need to show over-the-top violence in order to be "edgy" or "relevant" and forget that everything needs to add to the story if you really want to be taken seriously.  They don't seem to hold themselves back and ask a simple question like:  Can we get the story points we need without being visually unpleasant or upsetting to watch?  This is "entertainment" after all!  Sometimes the violence is absolutely necessary (Saving Private Ryan, Hacksaw Ridge, We Were Soldiers) so I am not against the depiction of violence, just the depiction of gratuitous violence.  Mature artists and film makers know the difference.

Unfortunately, I am afraid that there is a lack of maturity out there with many rationalizing that because video game violence sells, then it really is entertainment after all.  I mean the first episode was created by Blur Studios after all (and their work was stunning) who does make video games.  So guess what people:  We really haven't changed much since the days when gladiators fought to the death in the Roman Colosseum.  

But with all that said, LD&R really had some fun and funny episodes as well - and I will be looking forward to watching the next anthology in May and even the third anthology in 2022.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

1 hour ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Unfortunately, I am afraid that there is a lack of maturity out there with many rationalizing that because video game violence sells, then it really is entertainment after all.  I mean the first episode was created by Blur Studios after all (and their work was stunning) who does make video games.  So guess what people:  We really haven't changed much since the days when gladiators fought to the death in the Roman Colosseum. 

Dave

I find this to be a very... narrow view.

I hate violence irl in any shape or form. It's unecessary. But I do like a good gory videogame. Mind you, I don't play these games because of the gore but because they are good games and their atmosphere just happens to be supported by gore. I wouldn't want to play a game with zombies without over the top blood and gore effects. It's just not the same. There are certainly cases where this goes to far, for example the Mortal Kombat games; these are just as gory as possible just to be as gory as possible.

What really rubs me the wrong way is that you're comparing this to real bloodsport that happened in our history. Just because I like some heads exploding in my videogames and movies does NOT mean that I ever want to see something like this again. I really don't.

That said, yes, the first Episode in the first Season was by far the worst and I did find this scene to be over the top and unecessarily gory. I bet this was more a case of some artists going "hey we never had the chance to do this in any movie yet, let's see how good we can make it look". And yeah, they nailed it pretty well lol.

Yeah, gotta second DF there. Art should reflect all aspects of humanity from the very lightest to the very darkest shades, and all the levels  and complexity in between... personally the reds in a splatted brain, (and even a gratuitously splatted one sometimes !) are still somewhat artistically justified in my book because of the reaction they provoke in us - after all is that not what art is aiming to do; provoke a reaction ? And not all reactions have to be nice... and arguably, perhaps we learn and grow the most from the ones that aren't ! I think if there is any place in the world where extremes should be permissible, or rather untrammelled, art is it.

CBR

What you are both saying is at the core of my original point - that being when does the depiction of violence in entertainment become gratuitous.  I think you would both agree that there is a point when it goes from being necessary to being gratuitous.  Is that a fine line?  Not sure, but  I would imagine that line is different for everyone.

I will leave it there as I have a world of respect for you both as artists and more importantly as people.  I think we agree in some respect and I understand your point about how art should and does  cast a wide net over all aspects of society.  But, and this is the most important point after all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

We just have different eyes and therefore see things in different ways.

That is perfectly fine with me and I hope it is perfectly fine with you as well.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

4 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

What you are both saying is at the core of my original point - that being when does the depiction of violence in entertainment become gratuitous.  I think you would both agree that there is a point when it goes from being necessary to being gratuitous.  Is that a fine line?  Not sure, but  I would imagine that line is different for everyone.

I will leave it there as I have a world of respect for you both as artists and more importantly as people.  I think we agree in some respect and I understand your point about how art should and does  cast a wide net over all aspects of society.  But, and this is the most important point after all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

We just have different eyes and therefore see things in different ways.

That is perfectly fine with me and I hope it is perfectly fine with you as well.

Dave

Sure is. I was just a little concerned when you compared fictional violence with real violence. Might be because in my youth my favorite hobby got dragged through the dirt a couple of times because politicians couldn't find a better scape goat for school shooters.

Agreed though. Let's agree to disagre... kind of. But not really 😆