C4D R21 doesn't start anymore: Script Error in Licensing Tool

Go to solution Solved by DasFrodo,

• Solution

So this has been solved. What I had to do was go to my.maxon.net, login and unassign the license by hand (which was apparently still active). Why doing that directly on the other PC did not work and why I got a JS error is anyones guess but hey, at least it's running again.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

• 2 months later...

Would still like to know what cuases this. I just did a Windiws uodate today, I am now on Win 10 Home 21H1, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0. This is an Asus Laptop (G14 from 2021), maybe there are some parallels....

I guess the underlying problem is not Maxons's fault, but it is not good if the licensing mechanism depends on such stuff. Feels quite unreliable 😕

32 minutes ago, DasFrodo said:

Considering this is a really old C4D release I don't think it's going to get fixed. Gotta live with that workaround.

Old? If Maxon is not able to flawlessly license serve a two or three year old product then that would just prove the whole thing is a sham. So that can't be it. 

12 hours ago, MJV said:

Old? If Maxon is not able to flawlessly license serve a two or three year old product then that would just prove the whole thing is a sham. So that can't be it. 

I guess you haven't read the post that happened a while ago regarding patches? Some Maxon employee basically said that they won't patch anything that is not "critical" (whatever that means) on older versions.

So yeah, R21 is a couple of years old and combined with this I wouldn't expect them to fix it, tbh.

7 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

I guess you haven't read the post that happened a while ago regarding patches? Some Maxon employee basically said that they won't patch anything that is not "critical" (whatever that means) on older versions.

So yeah, R21 is a couple of years old and combined with this I wouldn't expect them to fix it, tbh.

No one expects Maxon to fix bugs in years old software, but when you take away from users the ability to fire up their software with a simple serial number, and instead force them into a permanent online internet connection tied to their servers, then that licensing system has to work flawlessly forever. Don't you think? I have old Cinema versions dating back 20 some years and I can still start them all of them with no hassle, no permission, no internet connection, and no reliance on Maxon still being in business. If software is going to stop working because of server issues after a couple or three years, why would anyone agree to purchase such a product? 

On 8/16/2021 at 7:31 PM, MJV said:

No one expects Maxon to fix bugs in years old software, but when you take away from users the ability to fire up their software with a simple serial number, and instead force them into a permanent online internet connection tied to their servers, then that licensing system has to work flawlessly forever. Don't you think? I have old Cinema versions dating back 20 some years and I can still start them all of them with no hassle, no permission, no internet connection, and no reliance on Maxon still being in business. If software is going to stop working because of server issues after a couple or three years, why would anyone agree to purchase such a product? 

Hey, I agree with you, but what I posted above is exactly what was said. I'm just saying that I think due to that that this won't get fixed.

Not to mention it has been months since I had this issue and nothing has changed.