Cinema 4D to Substance Painter Export Question

Go to solution Solved by Guest Igor,

Not sure of the politically correct name of this procedure, but I am hoping that someone can enlighten, or send me in the correct direction to educate myself on the proper way to achieve this. And again, I may be barking up the wrong tree procedurally, and hopefully one of you can direct me to the correct way of doing what I seek.

I will describe the scenario in simplistic terms to get my point across.

Create a Cube in Cinema 4D, UV Unwrap it, somehow attach a unique, respective, identifier to each of the separate six faces of the Cube, so that, when I Import the Cube into Substance Painter, there will automatically be six Layers named for each of the faces of the Cube, so that, if I choose Layer 3 and start painting, ONLY Layer 3 will get painted on, etc., etc.

I have done exhaustive Google, and YouTube searches which return procedures "somewhat" close to this, but none hit it right on the head.

• Solution
Guest Igor

Its very easy and straight forward. What you need to do is simply assign different materials on the object, export via .fbx (you can use default settings) and then when you import stuff you will see those materials inside SP as separate layers.

image.png

image.png

Guest Igor
1 hour ago, muhchris said:

IGOR, thank you. Sometimes when the solution was this simple, the OP looks for the nearest rock to crawl under.

No worries, we all been there, so nothing to be ashamed of. There were plenty of time I couldn't figure out simples solutions. 😉 

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community