INSYDIUM MeshTools

Guest Igor

Guest Igor

Real-time procedural modeling and animation made easy with MeshTools from INSYDIUM. Create and animate complex geometry and splines from any scene object. Quickly and non-destructively add subdivisions, inset polygons, offsets, and more. Animate your image using shaders, materials, selections, vertex maps, fields, and keyframes. Instantly build and animate splines from object edges, with multiple modes including outlines, intersection, and curvature. You can even create splines from animated object materials.

• Guest featured this topic

Interesting.  Is this a whole new plugin or part of X-Particles?  I would imagine a whole new plugin but there is nothing about it at the Insydium site.

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

18 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

.. but there is nothing about it at the Insydium site.

That's why it is  "sneak peek" I guess.

I understood this to be a complete new plugin, not part of xParticles

This looks to be a better and more power take on the work of Merk Vilson (topoformer, etc).    I even checked if Merk Vilson is now employed by Insydium (he is not).  If it is  a separate plugin, I would need to hear more about it as right now as right now the couple of examples provided in that video are not that compelling...interesting but I would need to understand how applicable and extendable the tool is to creating a variety of techniques and looks.

With that said, I am confident that by the time Insydium is done with it (this is a sneak peek after all), it will be amazing.

Dave

If you start at insydium.com, it says: x-Particles update coming soon! Click on that, and there are some sneakpeek-videos; mesh-tools currently being the first of those.

So it really seems to be part of x-particles. Why it deviates from the nomenclature (xpmeshtool) - no clue.

Also, the results in the video didn't really wow me. To be honest, I'm only waiting for the announcement of GPU-mode (promised for last year, I think?). 

56 minutes ago, keppn said:

If you start at insydium.com, it says: x-Particles update coming soon! Click on that, and there are some sneakpeek-videos; mesh-tools currently being the first of those.

So it really seems to be part of x-particles. Why it deviates from the nomenclature (xpmeshtool) - no clue.

Also, the results in the video didn't really wow me. To be honest, I'm only waiting for the announcement of GPU-mode (promised for last year, I think?). 

Yea, it would not make much sense to have it as a separate plugin, at least I don't see a point, except business wise, read $$. But again, that I think would not be a good marketing move.

Honestly, there is not much to impress with the sneak peeks so far.  The UV advection and Foam capabilities added to the OpenVDBMesher are welcome additions but (as stated before) Meshtools is not that exciting (yet?) and I see no point to the xpOpenVDBImporter.  

Talking about xpOpenVDB Importer....isn't OpenVDB an output from XP?  What is to be gained by importing?  For example, would entire VDB simulations now be able to be handled like any other particle in XP?  Nice idea, but I can't imagine a PC/workstation and/or render farm being able to handle VDB data sets to the same quantities as what XP could generate with particles.  Thousands and tens of thousands of VDB objects being added to scene would kill most machines.  Smaller quantities (around 100 or so) is more likely and probably just as easily handed by MoGraph or Fields.  So not sure what the benefit is here.

So 2 out of 4 is sneak peeks generating "some" level of interest so far feels like a 0.5 release rather than a full point release.  It does make you wonder what else they have been working on.  The only thing that would make sense is that all their energy has been directed to GPU acceleration judging by these lack-luster sneak peek videos so far.  Now that would be exciting.

Dave

• Guest unfeatured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

oookay, now the sneak peeks officially have arrived in "whoa"-country: 

INSYDIUM LTD | Coming Soon

The xpBullet-Preview looks really nice! Of course, performance is key with a feature like this, so let's hope that the hype-finale will be "GPU everything!"

All in all, the sum of the sneek peaks already amounts to quite an impressive update.