opinions for cinema 4d in game modeling

hi, last months, im interesting with game industry and doing some works and want to share my opinions for c4d on game ready modeling.

in game ready modeling, artists are  have very own requirements and pipelines and tools. %90 uses zbrush for sclupt. marmoset for baking, max/maya for modeling and animation. also sometime rizom like uv softwares and also painting programs like substance. this shocked me they they used lot of programs. they also fixes baked normals in ps for betters results. they calculates uv filling percentages and lot of other details there. so, i watching tutorials, courses and some timelapse videos about game modeling. there are lot of useful and important tools that c4d not have or have very old tools not comparable to todays industry standarts. i know c4d is not targetted for this industry but i think c4d not so far from this industry, just needs some improvoments and than can will be much more attractive for game industry.

anyway, after some works and experience, i want to share my opinion about some potential improvoments for c4d for better usability in the game modeling tasks. i hope c4d staff members here can notice this. and i hope all this small improvoments and tools  will be added on r25-s26.

c4d needs: 

-  vertex normal control tools. VNT plugin is a alternative but not works always and not covers all areas. also this is a third party plugin have problems. c4d needs own tools for vertex normal editing. its very important for lowpoly shading of game models.

- c4d needs more uv tools. for example texel calculator, UV used area % calculator, overlapped island movement tools for better baking. (we should move overlapped islands and keep just 1 for baking. after making move them back or heep on side tile of uv. now moving overlaped islands is ok for manually work but it should a command for more easy usage and faster handlig all overlaped island.

-better handling for smooting groups/phong breaks.  its ok for now but will be better like maya tools

-game engines calculates phong break, uv shell border and dvided vertex normals points as a 2 vertexes so we see in c4d different count of vertexes than game engines calculates. c4d should allow to see total vertex count as it calculates on game engines.  (game models are always have poly/vertex budgets depending on engine or studio)

- industry mostly uses marmoset for baking but its  have own price and some artist uses maya's and max's built in bake features. about max is good working and have features like cage. c4d should update baking features for better results. also should add skew paint like marmoset does. for now c4ds bake is old and slow. baking is really pain and lot of artist buys marmoset mainly for baking reasons. so this is a good area to grow i think. lot of artist can choose c4d if c4d gives that level of baking tools.

- matcap and other shading checking tools also welcome. there is lot of things will be do modelers life much more easy. in previous versions c4d changed color profiles of viewport and lot of users really not liked it. because modelling proccess is affected badly. of course colors changeable but im just saying, instead of color profile changec c4d should give  better shading tools like, matcaps like blender, normal, vertex normals and other visulizeable datas. with them, modeling becomes much easy/better.

- triangulation also will be better.

- mesh cecking is good now but also can contain some addional features for game modelings.

-better symetry tool and better boolean also will be good.

- year 2021 but we still need scripts for "points to circle" . Commands like this should be native tools. not thirt party tools. maxon should take care about this simple but powerful tools. but wee waiting for some users scrips and plugins. noseman do good things like edge to spline plugin. maxon should give us tools like this.

at least will be a retopo patch tool like blender addons. we know comes sclupt improvoments to c4d and retopo and bake will be much bigger issues for after sclupt proccesses. 

this small list is what i experienced in this year. most of game modelers uses maya or max. both are does good works and nearly industry standarts in game making. but c4d nearly does everything they doing(expecting this list). for me, c4d is much  better for fast drafting and concepting of game models. but after my experiences i cant close eyes for listed features above. they are looks very smal things but for game modeling they are very important and can attract lot of artists from game industry. 

i hope in one day we can see this improvoments in c4d.

I dont know from where did you get those numbers and how did you missed Houdinis procedural modelling together with Houdini engine. In game industry its used more and more, especially because of flexibility and proceduralism which pretty much none other 3D softwares can do at this point. You should check it out. It can pretty much do everything you need, except sculpting, but like you said ZBrush is pretty much standard these days, but also 3D Coat is worth of mentioning.

mr. igor, probably i not explained myself righly because of my english, sory. i know about houdini , downloaded learning version, but i am not about procedural modeling. or sculpting of 3dcoat. its about traditional way of game asset modeling.like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS6gI1bAvPA   

anyway, i love c4d and using this and my opinion/wishlist is not a critic, just  my opinions/wishlist for c4ds future. c4d have some tools but they are outdated or missing some important features for game prop modeling. c4d has very outdated and limited UV tools and updated this. now its much more modern and capable. like uv tools situation, c4d has some old tools or missing tools.with some improvoments and updates c4d can much more attractive to game industry. much more than now. 

for example my opinion list contains texels density calculation. since i learned or used c4d i never used this and dont cared about it. because all my materials was procedural. and never calculated any texels. also never listen about it from grayscalegorilla or other c4d veterans. but when i started learning about modelling for games for making money with some freelance modelling, there was texels. anyway its important theme for gaming industry. than i saw how maya users using it and doing uv unwrap, i cant found how to do this in c4d. how i can calculate texel density in c4d ? . maya does it: https://youtu.be/iL2iXizf9xM?t=303   again, i am not comparing programs or not saying maya is better or c4d is bad. i am just saying: " there is gaming industry that c4d missing little bit. beause of some missing features." 

again, this is not a criticism or comparing topic. its just my opinions that can make c4d more effective (i think) for game asset modeling, unwrapping, baking and texturing.

You do raise some good points, but I have to tell you that Maxon is well aware of pretty much all of them ! I have personally suggested a good few of them myself, and having been in this forum for so long have been witness to many others requesting similar...

I too look forward to continued improvement in the modelling toolset, and rather hope that doesn't get left behind or neglected in the quest for shiny new procedural workflows ! 😉 

CBR

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community