Best settings for rendering animated metal objects

Are there any tricks or tips for rendering multi metal animated objects?  I'm getting some major noise and I don't know if it's due to my render settings, texture settings, or both.  I know cranking the render settings up can help but I'm having a hard time balancing it with the astronomical render times.  For the light source, I'm only using a sky with an HDRI.

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 10.54.44 AM.jpg

Most of that garbage will be coming from the denoiser; it clearly can't cope and is giving a completely different result on every frame. What does it look like without it? Generally with physical you can set sampling to automatic and just use the threshold value to balance noise and render times, however in this case you may be pushing something too far.

What is the nature of that noisy metallic model? Is it polished metal, soft powder coated, brushed steel? My guess is that it has an incredibly small bump map of some sort and this is driving the sampling/AA mad.

One other thing to check and its a classic old mistake, you don't have 2 objects in the same place by any chance do you?

Also, what is in the reflection? other 3d models or a hdr sky?

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, I didn't realize the denoiser could make it worse.  I haven't gotten around to testing without it or changing the threshold.

The maps I used on the models exterior metal were all 4k textures. I left a screenshot of the general look of them down below.

I did double check to see if if there were two of the same layers on and I did not find any duplicates.

The scene is light with only an hdr sky.

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 10.16.30 AM.png