INSYDIUM TerraformFX

Guest Igor

Great is too small a word for what was shown in that demo.   Is it just me or does it feel like there is a paradigm shift here with how terrains are created --- in particular the ability to customize different areas of a terrain using fields or using particles to create different types of erosion?

So much for Rock Engine from 3D Quakers.   If they can now use xpScatter to populate tree instances over these terrains with as much control as Frank's past plugin surfaceSpread, then I would imagine that Insydium has officially become a contender to watch in the landscape generation market.

Bravo...very well done!

But, like with mesh tools, still confused if this is part of X-Particles or its own separate plugin.  Given that TerraformFX has its own logo, I am inclined to think it is its own plugin.  Actually, and I hate to say it, but Insydium could stand to make more money making this its own plugin than making it part of XP.  TerraformFX will have a much different development path as well (tree population, dynamic trees, roads, sun, skies, etc.) while maintaining tight inter-operability with XP they way Cycles 4D does (clouds, rivers, waterfalls, etc).

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

Looks really great!

But as with Mesh Tools, it seems to be part of XParticles if you go by this page:

https://insydium.ltd/products/x-particles/whats-new/coming-soon/

I think both tools would make great products on their own. I use Cycles4D, but do not really need XParticles. For me as a R21 user Mesh Tools would be interesting as I will not have access to the geometry nodes. The same goes for the terrain: the geoemtry nodes might also allow to build terrains. So both tools would actually be quite interesting for C4D users without geometry nodes access. Of course, the same goes for X-Particles itself, as geometry nodes might grow into a particle solution on its own. But still, that heavy packaging might prevent getting the tools into the hands of interested c4d users. Also, that OpenVDBImporter might be interesting for cycles4d...

I see how it can be confusing. While it says X-Particles update, only Mesh Tool and Terraformer doesn't have XP prefix in its title. 😄 But I think they will be part of XParticles.

I had a 90s flashback to when I first bought Bryce3D. That was the coolest thing I had ever seen. I was into the game Myst and had ideas of creating my own world like that. In fact, I think one of those renders is almost complete so I'll post it here when it's done.

I don't expect this to offer anything that World Creator doesn't do better. And World Creator has richer feature set...and is 100% GPU accelerated.

On top of that, due to a partnership announced 9 months ago my Otoy license includes World Creator. Though WC is currently standalone, it will soon have c4d plugin.

These programs are likely best as stand-alone apps, IMO.

I'll keep an open mind, but I don't expect TerraForm to beat this.

For those who want to know more about WC:

https://www.world-creator.com/

Also Terragen and World Machine.

I have often thought of making something like this myself but the competition is steep. I think Frank has done an incredible job. And with the backing of it now being part Insydium I think this has a great future. Would be so much fun working on a plugin like this. No end to the number of features you can add.

7 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

I don't expect this to offer anything that World Creator doesn't do better. And World Creator has richer feature set...and is 100% GPU accelerated.

On top of that, due to a partnership announced 9 months ago my Otoy license includes World Creator. Though WC is currently standalone, it will soon have c4d plugin.

The
se programs are likely best as stand-alone apps, IMO.

I'll keep an open mind, but I don't expect TerraForm to beat this.

For those who want to know more about WC:

https://www.world-creator.com/

One thing which I like about Otoy is how they partner with key plugin developers.  They do have a "subscription" bundle where for about $480 USD a year you get Octane, Embergen and World Creator.   While certainly attractive, my disdain for subscriptions of all types forced me to really look into what the costs are in comparison to purchasing the software rather than leasing it.

In comparison, the cost to purchase Octane is about $700 with a $200 annual upgrade cost.    The cost to purchase World Creator is $289 (for Windows).  There is not that much information on the cost to purchase annual maintenance for World Creator other than a reference in the FAQ section that it will be 50% of the purchase price - or $144.50.  Embergen follows a "lease to own" model (which I wish Maxon would consider) for $240/year for the hobbyist that decreases to $144/year in year 3.  

So to own all these separately would cost ($700 + $289 + 240) or $1229 in your first year and cost ($200 + $144 + $144.50) $488.50/year if you wanted to stay current. 

So you pay $749 more in your first year to buy everything rather than leasing ($1229 vs. $480) and then $8.5 more each year ($488 vs $480) over a subscription cost to stay current.  

Nevertheless, the moral of the story is that in some cases subscriptions look more attractive than perpetual licenses....but you still do not OWN the software.   Here the differences are not that great between the two and they could change over time as prices change. 

The BIG difference being that with subscriptions you have no choice but to continue subscribing should subscription prices increases if you want to still use the software.  With perpetual licenses you do have a choice if maintenance fees increase.  For an additional $8.5 a month, it may be worth NOT jumping on that bundle.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

I was pretty deeply involved with the beta testing of Terraform (T4D) before it was sold to Insydium. I'm looking forward to seeing what they've done with it. Yes the competition is steep in landscape generation tools - DEM Earth, Worldcreator, Gaea, Houdini, etc etc. but to be fair I think T4D has it's niche. It's a lower cost, simpler product  that can build 'realistic enough' landscapes quickly and easily. It integrates perfectly with C4D features such as fields and It's very art directable. The one key area it was missing was hydraulic erosion. I'll be interested to see how well the Insydium system works.