R25 Expectations

Guest Igor

All the devs at Core4D here are all great.  Check out their work in the developer forums here (which is pretty much totally hidden from the site now unless you hunt for it).

https://www.core4d.com/ipb/forums/forum/345-programming/

But let’s get back to R25! Very keen to hear what you would all like to see or expect to see… 

3 hours ago, kbar said:

All the devs at Core4D here are all great.  Check out their work in the developer forums here (which is pretty much totally hidden from the site now unless you hunt for it).

https://www.core4d.com/ipb/forums/forum/345-programming/

But let’s get back to R25! Very keen to hear what you would all like to see or expect to see… 

Guest Igor

Guys I think its not fair to ask Srek and others about business models and why something is done like it is. IN the end its not their decision or do they have anything to do with that. Pressuring them to answer will only push them to leave the conversation which I am sure no one would like. You always get answer when question is in their are of expertise.

14 hours ago, kbar said:

Check out their work in the developer forums here (which is pretty much totally hidden from the site now unless you hunt for it).

Kent what do you mean by this? You guys never had more exposure than you have now. If you have any suggestion, well I was always open to hear them and implement.

As a relative newcomer to C4d - using it mostly for illustrations - I’m surprised that rendering is not better in R23. I felt an urgent need to get an external renderer as I got started. So, for me, integration of Redshift would be very welcome. (Even though I’m more than happy with Corona). 

I really like the dynamic placement stuff in S24 (haven’t tried them yet though) so more of that would be cool. 

And following the recent discussions here, I would say C4d is in dire need of an “official” plugin store. But that’s probably not Maxon’s job. How about Core4d - could a simple web shop for plugins be set up here to help small developers reach out?

Guest Igor
1 minute ago, clarence said:

How about Core4d - could a simple web shop for plugins be set up here to help small developers reach out?

Unfortunately its not that easy. I've tried several times and some are selling stuff over Core4D without any fees. The problem is when you need to generate a license key, which take a lot of effort to implement from both parties, devs and us here. While I was ready to that, most of devs simply didn't as it is to much work I guess.

26 minutes ago, clarence said:

And following the recent discussions here, I would say C4d is in dire need of an “official” plugin store. But that’s probably not Maxon’s job. How about Core4d - could a simple web shop for plugins be set up here to help small developers reach out?

The main issue for any shop is visibility and profile. If you want to sell more plugins, then the shop needs to be a one-stop site where you get everything, where you get the newest, the best, all that you need. This shop needs to be on the forefront of your mind whenever you think "oh I would need an additional functionality, wonder if there's a plugin for that?" It must be so well known that you visit it at least once a week just to see what's new. Then, MAYBE, it would have a chance.

If the available plugins for C4D are generously spread over Gumroad, Patreon, Kickstarter, personal sites, some third party webshops, and a few obscure homepages that have been abandoned long ago (but the plugins are still good) - then you don't have the needed impact.

Naturally, it's pretty much impossible to get all developers under one umbrella (esp. since there are tax & regulation issues). I guess the first step would be to make a permanent curated list of plugins: what they do, where to get, maybe a few extras like compatibility or ratings. Add new stuff every so often, and then advertise the hell out of it (there are so many users out there that this forum doesn't reach - sadly, I have no idea how to push such a hub to everybody's attention). So far, the best I have seen is the occasional post with a plugin list, which soon sinks into the darkness of old posts 🐯

(Come to think about it, where is the info "how to sell on Core4D"? I am too stupid today to find it...)

Guest Igor
6 minutes ago, Cairyn said:

(Come to think about it, where is the info "how to sell on Core4D"? I am too stupid today to find it...)

I don't really advertise it or have any instruction as there is no really a interest and like said post above, its not easy to setup if keys needs to be generated, and I run this site as hobby not business so I don't really have time to do everything. And its also cost me money...

Only place where its mentioned is under Contributors page. Only "wall" I set and "fee" is to become Gold contributor.

Not saying it must necessarily be on Core4D, but yeah, it's going to be a ton of work, and if it's more than a plain list of links, every addition would open a new can of worms... license keys, tax forms, VAT, transaction fees; it's probably not going to happen.

Unless Maxon does a shop of their own, but that is kind of a competition, isn't it?

2 hours ago, Cairyn said:

The main issue for any shop is visibility and profile. If you want to sell more plugins, then the shop needs to be a one-stop site where you get everything, where you get the newest, the best, all that you need. This shop needs to be on the forefront of your mind whenever you think "oh I would need an additional functionality, wonder if there's a plugin for that?" It must be so well known that you visit it at least once a week just to see what's new. Then, MAYBE, it would have a chance.

A long time ago, Flay.com worked exactly like a plugin hub for LightWave. It wasn’t a shop but a combo blog/list with short descriptions and links to the plugins. Worked really well and quickly became the most visited LightWave site around. I’m pretty sure it helped both plugin developers and Newtek (maker of LW) sell more copies. 

Guest Igor
8 minutes ago, clarence said:

A long time ago, Flay.com worked exactly like a plugin hub for LightWave. It wasn’t a shop but a combo blog/list with short descriptions and links to the plugins. Worked really well and quickly became the most visited LightWave site around. I’m pretty sure it helped both plugin developers and Newtek (maker of LW) sell more copies. 

This is the type of content I am working on at the moment, but its slow as I cant commint that much to it. I have create two new pages from which one will be like a Wiki page and one about all the Plugins. For now this is hidden as I have a lot of things to do to make this happen, but I hope to finish this until September.

Here is a glimpse of it:
image.png

image.png

image.png

Also those documents will be linked here so it easy to land on the specific topic. So every tab will have dedicated link to the topic.

image.png

It will be fast and easy to search as this will be its own database. So search engine will not search whole forum but just this part of it. Which is neat.

if anyone is interested to help me out with this, please let me know, that way we will be able to finish it faster.

7 hours ago, Igor said:
22 hours ago, kbar said:

Check out their work in the developer forums here (which is pretty much totally hidden from the site now unless you hunt for it).

Kent what do you mean by this? You guys never had more exposure than you have now. If you have any suggestion, well I was always open to hear them and implement.

It might be that I am on my phone but to find it I had to click the hamburger menu icon->Browse->Forums. Then scroll down the page for a while to find the developers section. 

A while back there was a item right on the main page. But this got removed. I am not complaining at all. I know how

hard it is to prioritize what gets shown on the main page.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community