C4d R20 is not opening at all. Wont even start a windows process.

Hi all, I just upgraded my pc to a i9-11900k and rtx3090, with m.2 ssd drive. 

I had a fresh windows installed, clean c drive. Freshly installed C4d r20 will not open at all, it won`t even start a windows process.  I tried to reinstall it already, but no luck. What is wrong  with it ? 

Is it too old to run on this PC ? 

The oldest version I have working on a modern system like yours is 21.207 if that is any help...

However I have seen various forum posts over the recent years where people attempt to make win 10 deal with much older versions, and have seen even R9 running on contemporary hardware, so perhaps worth searching around for those types of threads ?

CBR

Yeah, it works now. Ive contacted Maxon and they advice to do this.
There is a thing that Microsoft changed in one of the latest Windows updates  apparently, and Windows is not blocking OUTGOING or OUTBOUNDS connections. So simply adding a new rule (as per screnshoots) solves the issue.
image.png.e11c0fbe4233f8077003e7c344845d80.png523485043_Annotation2021-07-06141420.png.2f9d4c570543b5f84030e4bf455f0711.png

Annotation 2021-07-06 141501.png

So R20 has telemetry?  I mean that is pre-license server so the only reason for R20 to have an outside connection is to provide usage data to Maxon.  Normally, they should ask if you want to provide usage information to "improve the user experience" (otherwise known as telemetry).  I don't remember ever being asked that with any of the installations, but I could be wrong.

BTW: I have R19 running just fine on my Xeon E3-1245 with an Samsung M.2 SSD drive and a Quadro P600.  Ever since R20 was released and they said that anything prior to R12 will not be supported, I have kept that installation as I do have some pre-R12 models still available that I might want to revisit.  So if I need them, they get loaded and re-saved as R19 versions which can then be loaded into R23.  Not sure if Maxon has an offline conversion tool....I remember some mention of it, but I could be mistaken.

Addendum: Maxon Labs has a Scene Updater (found here).  Honestly, after skimming the two pages of documentation, I think it is easier to keep R19 on my desktop.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

• Customer
33 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

So R20 has telemetry?  I mean that is pre-license server so the only reason for R20 to have an outside connection is to provide usage data to Maxon.  Normally, they should ask if you want to provide usage information to "improve the user experience" (otherwise known as telemetry).  I don't remember ever being asked that with any of the installations, but I could be wrong.

I think I remember opt-in or out of usage stats in R14 or R15 preferences. Even sending the bug reports would require connection out.

14 hours ago, hyyde said:

Yeah, it works now. Ive contacted Maxon and they advice to do this.
There is a thing that Microsoft changed in one of the latest Windows updates  apparently, and Windows is not blocking OUTGOING or OUTBOUNDS connections. So simply adding a new rule (as per screnshoots) solves the issue.

Why would you want to block any Maxon connections ? And why would these connections stop R20 from loading ?

• 4 weeks later...

God damn it , sorry guys, i didn't get any notifications, i didn't see that message. 

On 7/7/2021 at 5:08 AM, paulselhi said:

Why would you want to block any Maxon connections ? And why would these connections stop R20 from loading ?

Well, that's what Maxon suggested , to add OUTBOUND rule,  because somehow my windows wont let it start. I wish i could give you a better answer, but I'm a noob when it comes to firewalls , networks, rules etc. I'm still in contact with Maxon, i have more problems with it. 

Even if i use this ''technique'' to get C4D to start, i am unable to use Redshift or X-particles. Basically anything that requires connection to a licence server (or internet)

Still no luck, and its been a while now, and my mind is slowly going towards dark thoughts like selling this new awesome PC, trying to get refund from Maxon for everything i bought and just give up on anything 3d-related... Ill do a full windows reinstall, on a brand new pc, cause why not. 

But seriously, I've never had a problem with a software, that i couldn't sort in a day or two, this been going for almost a month. 

Any suggestion will be very appreciated.  Im  buying a beer or whole whisky to whomever can help with it.