Can textures and UV's be of uneven resolution?

22 minutes ago, Voidseeker said:

Hello everybody, so I have been wondering, why do textures use even ratios of 1:1? and is it possible to use uneven ratios like in our monitors 1920 x 1080?  and if it is possible how to create those textures?

UV coordinates are floating point values between 0 and 1 (per axis), so if your texels are square, a texture that covers the full UV range would end up square too. No, you cannot change that.

However, your textures can have any ratio you like... they will just not cover the full UV plane, or not be visible in toto, or be distorted. Change the Length U / V values in the material tag to adapt the ratio.

(In games, you will often find textures that are not just square but have a side length that is a power of 2 (e.g. 2048x2048). This has programmatical/technical reasons.)

Yes, it is possible to use uneven textures - just open them from the file menu in the UV panel (BP UV edit) and the UV canvas will adapt to the aspect ratio of the imported image. Of course if that is anything other than 1:1 then the UV polys will stretch in one direction in a way that they probably don't on the model itself, thereby introducing  some UV distortion, which may or may not matter for the task at hand.

1:1 is the default aspect ratio because it makes most sense over the widest range of models.

CBR

Guest Igor

While you most certainly can do that, its not wise and its a standard to use 1:1 ratio maps when texturing. Another reason which is more technical but very important are MiP Maps, which in game engines like Unreal are used for optimizing the scene. MiP Maps will be utilized depending how far you are from the object. The further you get from the objects, the less resolution maps will be, because from far away its hard to see textures anyways, so engine using Mip Maps to optimize performance. If 1:1 ratio is not used (standards: 1024x1024, 2048x2048px etc) MiP Maps will not be created and you will lose on the performance.

Thank you all! I understand it now, the reason why I asked was that in rizomUV there is a feature to change the UV tile size from that of a square. in the documentation provided by the company, it says this.

1393432527_Screenshot(175).png.bbd0b9859058c20c064ab59d0eeaf6d4.png

this peaked my curiousity. can anybody care to explain?

14 minutes ago, Voidseeker said:

this peaked my curiousity. can anybody care to explain?

I don't know what these "some other applications" are, but it sounds as if the UV dimensions in these apps are stored differently. So Rizom gives you a scaling factor to get it back to the 0..1, 0..1 of a standard UV tile (or vice versa).

I'm sure some Rizom user who works with these applications can explain it more thoroughly.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community