Cinema 4D Scene uses between 40 to 70 GBs of RAM and Viewport is 1-2 fps

Go to solution Solved by Guest Igor,

Hi all. Been a lurker here for a while getting assistance from people with similar past issues but have encountered a lasting problem with my files and projects that I have yet to see on any online forums. I have a feeling it is related to my inexperience and inefficiency with the software rather than it being Cinema's fault.

I do product and lifestyle renderings for an office seating company. I usually take low-res CAD models and produce better quality models in Cinema4D to then use in detailed environments to be rendered using Corona for Cinema4D R23.11
I have an issue where I often have to use models from past render projects. I typically delete anything from the source project file that I don't need, save a copy of that trimmed down scene, and merge it into my main project.

For some reason, I cannot reduce the file size of previous scenes I have worked on to just get the geometry I want. Even if I just want a single chair model from a past project scene (without exporting that object as another filetype so I can preserve any C4D modifiers I have used such as Symmetry of Subdivision Surface), deleting everything but the object in question does not reduce the file size and said file size carries over into my main project. This has resulted in my main project file going from 50MBs to 1.7GBs, takes up to 15 minutes to load, occupies around 50 GBs of RAM (I have 128GBs), and I can BARELY move around my viewport.

I have tried a number of things to make sure that the geometry isn't the source of the issue. My polycount for the few models I have in my scene is just under 2 million and I have used low subdivision modifiers and instances wherever I can. I have tried to merge the entire project into a new untitled project but the result is the same. I have also tried to save out any of the models as alternate filetypes so that I could try to reimport the scene as an FBX or OBJ but the program just freezes at 0% processed when I try to do this. I suspect that the issue is related to a rookie mistake on my part.

If anyone thinks that they can help me determine the cause of this issue, it would not only greatly assist me in saving my current project but also help inform me of what I have been doing wrong with future projects like this one! If the solution is not simple to determine and I need to provide more information or files, please let me know right away

--Carl

Guest Igor

Huhu, its really hard to say. We would really need a scene file to inspect it. If you dont want to share it here, you can send me a PM with the link to download the files so I can check them.

Now, this is a long shot, but try removing all plugins you have and then try to save a scene again. I had a similar issue before and it was a bug with the rendering software which I was able to track. So it worth of trying.

It's a large file so here it is via a WeTransfer link! I am sharing a copy where I had attempted to merge objects together to track down the source of the problem
If you have any issues with it, I can probably drum up another file that is experiencing a similar issue to a lesser degree but this file has no necessary textures and no rendering settings which should narrow down the possible causes.

https://we.tl/t-mFGAZ8YDqN

Perhaps it is a Corona Renderer related issue (I currently have Corona Renderer 6 Hotfix 1). It might take me a bit to test removing the plugin (which is the only plugin I have installed) as I have to interact with a slow-to-respond IT service on weekdays to uninstall/reinstall admin access related actions on my office system.

Thank you for your assistance, however much you are able to provide! It has been driving me crazy.

I am looking into this now. It might take a while. File downloaded faster than Cinema loaded the file, actually its still loading.

So as suspected, as soon as I deleted materials and saved the file, things got much much optimized and manageable in sense of MB and overall C4D performance. From 1.7GB to 170MB. Trying to undo things, started to make issues again where my C4D got super slow. This tells me something is very wrong with the materials, but whats weird is that I dont have Corona at all. So at this point, just try to uninstall Corona and delete all material to test the things on your side and then try to save the scene.

This sounds like good news! This makes sense if the issue is potentially related to data associated with Corona Renderer since that is the only outlying plugin.
I tried to reproduce this result on a laptop. I uninstalled Corona 6.1 and opened the file on it. Took about 15 minutes. I deleted the handful of textures on the bottom panel and also deleted all of the texture tags on all objects in the entire scene only leaving Phong and normal tags. I have absolutely no need for any materials in my file (yet) anyway, especially no previous texture data.
The file only went from 1.7GBs to 1.56GBs and is still incredibly sluggish. Perhaps I did not follow the same steps for deleting all texture data  that you did. Can you describe to me how you went about ensuring all texture data was removed? Also, did you do it in a newer/older version of Cinema4D?

If I could figure out how to somewhat cleanly extract the models from a scene file with absolutely no plugin data, that would honestly suffice and give me a short term solution (after which I can explore potential causes from the Corona Renderer community) so any advice on how I can go about doing so would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance and for everything thus far.

Well, only thing I did is simply removed all the Materials from Material manager and all Tags which were assigned and then saved as new file, I did not overwrite the old one. That did the job!

Curious. I am attempting again, and also attempting to merge the edited scene file into a new blank scene and will save that out and see if the file comes out any differently. Taking ages to merge it lol. Would you be able to send the 170MB file back so I can see how it opens on my primary workstation and if it seems workable?

I will have to download it again and repeat the process, so it will take some time because I deleted the files. Maybe its not obvious, but make sure you save the scene as new one via Save As. 

Okay, was able to open your file and it definitely opens faster and doesn't overload the system memory but I definitely see that something still feels very off in the scene (viewport still feels very very sluggish).

I see, I will note that something does seem to be very off with the scene to the forum, anything that I can use to explain further besides that something could be off with the Materials and the Materials Manager along with the before and after of the file?

I will attempt to reproduce your method of clearing materials again and make sure I click that option. At the same time, the file is light enough that it is not screaming in protest when I attempt to export the project geometry to another format. Currently at 52% exporting as FBX, going to re-merge the FBX into an empty scene to compare how the software behaves with nothing else but the geometry alone.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community