Insydium Subscription | Cycles | Fused Discussion

Guest Igor

On 8/22/2021 at 7:31 AM, Chris Phillips said:

I'm one of the Cycles 4D only customers, so this is a bummer. 

I picked Cycles 4D up because it was really stable, had an affordable perpetual buy in, and loads of resources for learning from the Blender Cycles community. The only reason I found that this end of perpetual thing was happening was because I googled whether Cycles X was coming to Cycles 4D and stumbled upon this news. If they've communicated this with perpetual licence holders, I've missed it.

Anyway, I definitely won't be getting fused and will jump on another engine or move fully to Blender (where Cycles is much faster anyway). Not trying to turn this into a Blender vs C4D thread, but as someone who only does a small percentage of their client work in 3D, I'm finding it harder to justify these costs when Blender does so much of what I need (I still like using C4D more though).

I ended switching over to Redshift instead. That is also going the way of subscription but I purchased a perpetual license before deadline that should do me a few years and then if I do decide to go subscription with it at least its half the price of what the Cycles 4D sub cost would be. I'm still pretty dirty that you can't get Cycles 4D on its own anymore.

• 1 month later...

I purchased Cycles 4d last year and now I find that it's moved to subscription only and I'm not able to get the latest version because of this move, even though my maintenance period doesn't expire until December 31st. Basically, I'm stuck with a useless piece of rendering software, so Insydium isn't going to get any more of my business. I'm tired of software companies who think we have unlimited resources to pay continually for something. You could literally end up spending 800 dollars a month just to have the things you need because they're all moving to subscription services. This is the second time this happened to me and I'm getting pretty tired of it. I'm seriously considering telling them all to take a flying fricking leap and switching to Blender. Not a happy camper.

6 minutes ago, Willtaylor said:

I purchased Cycles 4d last year and now I find that it's moved to subscription only and I'm not able to get the latest version because of this move, even though my maintenance period doesn't expire until December 31st. Basically, I'm stuck with a useless piece of rendering software, so Insydium isn't going to get any more of my business. I'm tired of software companies who think we have unlimited resources to pay continually for something. You could literally end up spending 800 dollars a month just to have the things you need because they're all moving to subscription services. This is the second time this happened to me and I'm getting pretty tired of it. I'm seriously considering telling them all to take a flying fricking leap and switching to Blender. Not a happy camper.

Well, I think you are not the only one thinking just that. Life is transforming into renting and not owning anything these days. Pay rent for flat, electricity, internet, water, software and so on...what's next, cars, bikes...list is just stacking and stacking. I feel bad for coming generations, they will live in society where nothing is owned, only rented.  

44 minutes ago, Willtaylor said:

I think you are able to download the last version of cycles available until your maintenance end.

On 8/21/2021 at 4:31 PM, Chris Phillips said:

I definitely won't be getting fused and will jump on another engine or move fully to Blender (where Cycles is much faster anyway). 

In my experience, cycles in c4d and blender cycles are both equally slow and none are suited for large scale scenes.

Things may change with cycles X, plus insydium no longer has a reason to update cycles anymore.

10 minutes ago, luchifer said:

In my experience, cycles in c4d and blender cycles are both equally slow and none are suited for large scale scenes.

Things may change with cycles X, plus insydium no longer has a reason to update cycles anymore.

Wouldn't they update to cycles X? The speed difference is pretty stunning and I imagine x-particles could benefit.

I wish C4d had some kind of fast renderer built in, even if it was a raster engine like Eevee. I'm surprised Maxon hasn't tried to acquire U-render as a built in solution.

17 minutes ago, luchifer said:

I think you are able to download the last version of cycles available until your maintenance end.

Not quite correct. Cycles remains on version 550 when you have bought it as separate product - afair the same version it had for quite a while now - while the version that comes with Fused is 557, which you only get (and can use) if you have a current Fused maintenance. So, a separately bought Cycles is already behind, and I somehow doubt that we will see another Cycles4D in 2021.

I do suspect that there is no real difference between 550 and 557 - that may just be the changed licensing reflected in the version number. So, if you are very optimistic, you could argue that 557 makes no sense for Perpetual Cycles owners, and hope for another standalone-Cycles update before your maintenance runs out. I doubt that, however; apparently Insydium didn't sell enough of these to make it worth their while, so now it's relegated to an add-on to keep people on maintenance, and the future of this product seems bleak.

If you are pessimistic, you may even doubt that Cycles will be updated to CyclesX eventually (if it is, it will come too late for the separate Cycles we bought); it is possible that Insydium may remove it from their offer altogether. But that's speculation.

17 hours ago, luchifer said:

What I find interesting is that Insydium no longer makes public what is the latest version of Cycles.  I thought Cycles 550 was the latest version as that is what is available for download via your current maintenance program.  I have yet to switch to Fused and searched for the latest version number but could not find it.

Only via this thread did I learn it was 557.  Not sure when that that was released or how it is different than 550.  

Not sure why they are making things difficult.  Lack of transparency during a shift in their licensing policy is never a good strategy but it just seems to be part of the process with companies these days.  Whether that is intentional or just a symptom of all the complexities with that transition remains to be seen.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

18 hours ago, Willtaylor said:

100% agree.  

But that is not my real fear.  My real fear is when Apple or Microsoft go 100% subscription. Imagine a future where you cannot even purchase new hardware without signing onto a monthly license fee for the OS.  

Dave

2 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

But that is not my real fear.  My real fear is when Apple or Microsoft go 100% subscription. Imagine a future where you cannot even purchase new hardware without signing onto a monthly license fee for the OS.  

Don't worry... given the current state of the internet, your OS will come as a free version with ads. There will be some static ads at the right side of the screen, and a live ticker for new products at the bottom below the task bar. When you start a program, there will be a message "This app start is sponsored by...!!!!". When you open administrative functions, you need to watch a few video spots beforehand. Oh, and the always-on IoT camera will observe your attentiveness so you don't simply go to pee in the meantime, but watch all of it. Because that is only fair in exchange for the great products you receive!

You'll find me on Linux btw.

1 hour ago, Cairyn said:

Don't worry... given the current state of the internet, your OS will come as a free version with ads. There will be some static ads at the right side of the screen, and a live ticker for new products at the bottom below the task bar. When you start a program, there will be a message "This app start is sponsored by...!!!!". When you open administrative functions, you need to watch a few video spots beforehand. Oh, and the always-on IoT camera will observe your attentiveness so you don't simply go to pee in the meantime, but watch all of it. Because that is only fair in exchange for the great products you receive!

You'll find me on Linux btw.

What was that line in Ready Player One?  "We estimate we can sell up to 80% of a players visual field of view with ads before seizures occur"

image.png.661c9431f165b2934a4aa9285a60667f.png

Gee...I wonder how the C4D UI would look in this world.

Dave