Where do you purchase your stock models?

I get most free stuff from grabcad.com especially if its standard items like screws, brackets etc. For cheap and crappy free stuff theres archive3d.net. Low quality but free for background quality items. Turbosquid is the goto for quality bits though.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

+1 for Kitbash 3D.  Especially if you get on their mailing list and get notified of a new release as all new Releases are 50% off for the first week.  So you can get hiqh quality model collections of

BlendSwap has over 23.000 free models. Many are CC0 licensed. Lots of architecture related ones as well. https://www.blendswap.com/categories   You do require a copy of Blender to conve

I'll throw in a few that I've used and might not be well known. Many times, these artists that sell on TurboSquid will also sell their models directly on their own site and usually $25 cheaper. Also w

On 7/17/2021 at 6:00 AM, 3D-Pangel said:

Now, there were some issues with the C4D conversion they did (corrupted geometry - flipped textures, etc) which I did fix and send back to them.

I downloaded the free city block, and opened the C4D file. All textures are absolutely linked to a specific folder on their E drive - meaning none of the textures work and must be relinked. But alright, Project Asset Inspector to the rescue.

Some of the buildings have walls that overshoot in width. Oops.

And finally, the scene consists of more than 5000 objects, which noticeably slows down C4D's viewport to a paltry 14fps on my system (3900X + GTX1080).

Many objects are duplicates, and I would expect those to be referenced/instanced.

As a potential C4D customer I would not be impressed.

The collada version loads up without issues in the geometry and with only 21 objects runs butter smooth. But all textures are based on the FBX version and have different prefixes, so it is not possible to quickly fix the textures.

Have you fixed this file already? Seems to me this is not helping them to advertise their models to C4D users.

13 hours ago, hvanderwegen said:

I downloaded the free city block, and opened the C4D file. All textures are absolutely linked to a specific folder on their E drive - meaning none of the textures work and must be relinked. But alright, Project Asset Inspector to the rescue.

Some of the buildings have walls that overshoot in width. Oops.

And finally, the scene consists of more than 5000 objects, which noticeably slows down C4D's viewport to a paltry 14fps on my system (3900X + GTX1080).

Many objects are duplicates, and I would expect those to be referenced/instanced.

As a potential C4D customer I would not be impressed.

The collada version loads up without issues in the geometry and with only 21 objects runs butter smooth. But all textures are based on the FBX version and have different prefixes, so it is not possible to quickly fix the textures.

Have you fixed this file already? Seems to me this is not helping them to advertise their models to C4D users.

Where can you get that free city block?  I do not recall any DAZ model that is that large (5000 objects or instances). 

Here is the link to what DAZ offers for free.  Note that you can also get the latest version of DAZ Studio Pro and their DAZ to C4D scripts at this link.  But I see no city model.

Was the free city model from Renderosity?

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

31 minutes ago, hvanderwegen said:

Oh...you are talking about NoneCG whereas I was thinking that you were referring to DAZ (probably because I said in my previous post that DAZ to C4D conversions require some work).

Yes...for the big model (the 8 city block model)  I fixed the over shooting walls, the inverted signage, and relinked the textures.  And this was in a model that was sold as a C4D model...so at least the tree's were Xref'd.  They are big models....but not sure you can reduce that too much with instancing to a point where it will make a difference as they do have a great bit of detail and they want things organized at the block level as that is the lowest level in which they sell them.  So how much a street light, mailbox, parking meter is duplicated within one block is not that significant.  You could do that for the full collections, but then you have issues with breaking them down into sellable blocks.

But I do agree that the C4D conversions where horrible and  that is why I fixed them and sent them back.  But I did for the 8 block model.  Obviously those changes were not translated down into the free one-block model you downloaded.  The Time Square conversion that I am doing (22 blocks) is time consuming just because there are a whole host of issues that need to be corrected in the FBX version.  I used FBX just to avoid the texture problems as there are 1.3Gb of textures alone.  50% of my time is spent on organizing and renaming objects too. On my second pass is when I start to put in instancing -- but right now the focus is fixing the object import issues (wrong orientations or position), organizing the objects within the OM, redoing the lighting, and fixing corrupted geometry (which surprisingly is far less than was in the 8 block models).  If I was truly nuts, I  would try to remodel everything into quads....but this is a part time hobby and not a career.

Dave

Great sources everyone is posting here. Some of these sites I had long forgotten. Good to know they are still around.

Kitbash 3D just release "Favelas" --- (I have no idea what that means).  Regardless, it is a pretty amazing collection of shanty buildings that you would find in severely economically depressed areas.  Now, you may not want to build your own urban blight community, but the textures look to be outstanding. Given that there are 374 PBR materials, I am not sure you would be able to find material collections for what they are charging for the full model collection:  $99.50.  This price is 50% off the regular price and will jump up to $199 probably in a week (not sure).

Dave

BTW: I have found that you can go back and download purchased models in different formats as well as render engines.  Something to think about as the world transitions to subscription programs (eg. they support Blender, Houdini, and C4D in Octane --- but not Redshift)