Redshift moving to Subscription Only --

Well, just got a Mail. Redshift will be Subscription only after the 30th of August. Time to get a maintenance refresh and see what happens in the future.

Knowing how it's been priced so far together with C4D I have no hope for the future, honestly. 

RIP

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, for reasons I explained earlier in this thread, companies love the subscription model more than they love their customers.  So what market forces does this create if EVERY perpetual license we h

Seems like  maxon has no plans to include Redshift in C4D natively. They gave up on physical render too so I wonder how long they can keep charging the same insane prices without a decent built in ren

Quite simple....this decision is NOT made with the customer in mind.  Rather, the only ones who benefit from this are the business owners as it creates a guaranteed stream of revenue going into their

Posted Images

Well...we all new that this would happen someday, but I just got the following email from Maxon:

image.png.b05c3388ed6aacb49120980cca59f0ab.png

So not sure if this means that my current perpetual license (including any upgrades until my maintenance plan runs out) will also shift to subscription only.  

Is this a precursor to Cinema 4D also moving to subscription only?  Only time will tell.  If so, then the countdown to full Blender mode has begun.  Why? Well, the industry has shown that all subscriptions reach a point when you are just paying year-after-year to use the same old software with the same old and unfixed issues.  We've seen that in Adobe products (especially Premier), in Autodesk products (Max) and even in Microsoft products.  In short, all forward progress slows down considerably once everyone is locked into "pay-to-use" rather than "pay-to-upgrade" .   This is especially true for mature industries and DCC is now a very mature industry. 

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

• DasFrodo changed the title to Redshift will be Subscription only after the 30th of August

Well what can I say.  Looks like my current  R20 with Vray and Redshift perpetual has some extra value when its Subs or nothing. 

Moving forward, Autodesk don't look such a bad deal for indie licence.

Dan

ArtStation    Website 

Subscriptions have ruined everything. If you don't own your software, you don't own the projects you make with it either. This has more or less ruined the enjoyment I used to get just messing around with the software, exploring, and having fun. 

@3D-PangelWe had the same idea at pretty much the same time 😄 merged the topics.

7 minutes ago, MJV said:

Subscriptions have ruined everything. If you don't own your software, you don't own the projects you make with it either. This has more or less ruined the enjoyment I used to get just messing around with the software, exploring, and having fun. 

Yeah. I'm done with the shenanigans. Currently learning Blender. I have a R21 perpetual still but this will just get older and older... and for my hobby needs Blender has everything I need. At least as far as I can tell for now.

1 hour ago, Rectro said:

Well what can I say.  Looks like my current  R20 with Vray and Redshift perpetual has some extra value when its Subs or nothing. 

Moving forward, Autodesk don't look such a bad deal for indie licence.

Dan

If you mean Maya then yeah, go ahead. If you're thinking about 3DS Max, no. Just no.

Makes you think how long it's going to take until the C4D Perpetual vanishes as well. Although I don't think anybody seriously considers this with 3x the price of a yearly subscription.

"But guys, we still have perpetuals, just like you wanted!" Yeah, right.

I just love the spin they put in the letter as to why they moved to subscription only --- it is because given all the apps they need to support, it is imperative to Maxon that their users always run with the latest version.

Oh...how condescending!!!

Us poor stupid users won't be able to make the decision to upgrade for ourselves or we are too technically "unenlightened" to realize all the great and wonderful benefits that are to be had with the latest version.  Really, this is for our own good. 

Well,  you can't feed us cow patties and tell us its fillet mignon.   

But some people happily go along with subscriptions...simply because they cannot see past the next day.   There is a rampant level of short sighted thinking going on in the world today.

Where is the incentive for development and innovation when every user is locked into a pay-to-use software?  There simply is none.  Upgrade programs on perpetual licenses gave the user a choice - some which people have made on this forum.  Not happy with the new release...not upgrading.  By not upgrading, that was incentive for Maxon to continually provide new features with each release that will attract both old and new users.  But with subscription, that motivation drops down to attracting new users only...and you can do that with the core features of the software rather than the newer refinements only seasoned users would appreciated.    So subscriptions kill the need or desire for innovation and/or improvements to the software that only long-time users will enjoy.  And you are seeing that today as I mentioned in my first post.

Software companies are becoming like fixed market monopolies.  If you want to keep using it, you have to keep paying.  Sure you are getting the "full" software at a cheap subscription price...but not really.  That is a price you are going to pay every year until you decide to switch to something else.  And when you do, it all ends.  No access to anything you have created or purchased that needs the software to run (plugins, models, scripts, libraries, etc).

In light of this news, all I can say is thank you Blender and I am looking forward to 3.0.

Dave

P.S. In hind sight, switching from C4D Cafe (a C4D only) to Core4D (slowly becoming a C4D, Houdini and Blender site) was probably a brilliant move.

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

1 minute ago, 3D-Pangel said:

I just love the spin they put in the letter as to why they moved to subscription only --- it is because given all the apps they need to support, it is imperative to Maxon that their users always run with the latest version.

Yeah, I'm still surprised companies think anybody buys this marketing garbage talk. Question is: do some people actually buy it, or do companies THINK people buy it but instead users just HAVE to eat this stuff up because they need their software?

3 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

But some people happily go along with subscriptions...simply because they cannot see past the next day.   There is a rampant level of short sighted thinking going on in the world today.

I'd argue that most people go along with it because they have to. If your livelyhood depends on a specific software you simply cannot afford spending time on something different to get as proficient at it. I understand it, completely.

4 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Software companies are becoming like fixed market monopolies.  If you want to keep using it, you have to keep paying.

Well, it obviously works. We can thank Adobe for getting this subscription garbage to mainstream. If only companies AT LEAST did subs rent to own but nooo. Rather blackmail your users "either you pay or you get nothing, good day sir".

I love Redshift; I like the dev-team's transparency and openness. They should have my money -- it's a good product with good support. 

But -- and this is crucial -- I want to pay on my terms, and I want to be able to access my stuff at all times. An ongoing subscription feels just extortionate. 

It's so easy to solve everything -- let me rent the software; if it's long enough, let me exit my subscription with a perpetual license (that no longer gets updates). 

It should be the same for C4D (and Adobe and all the likes).

They way it is -- just robbers sitting on my files. 

The way it coud be: A fair model that respects my investments and honors me as a customer. 

1 minute ago, keppn said:

I love Redshift; I like the dev-team's transparency and openness. They should have my money -- it's a good product with good support. 

But -- and this is crucial -- I want to pay on my terms, and I want to be able to access my stuff at all times. An ongoing subscription feels just extortionate. 

It's so easy to solve everything -- let me rent the software; if it's long enough, let me exit my subscription with a perpetual license (that no longer gets updates). 

It should be the same for C4D (and Adobe and all the likes).

They way it is -- just robbers sitting on my files. 

The way it coud be: A fair model that respects my investments and honors me as a customer. 

Problem with this model is that people would just get a single month and then ditch out, keeping their expensive render engine forever.

A solution to this is what Allegorithmic (Substance Suite) did... until they got bought by Adobe. They had a "rent to own" model, meaning if you kept paying the monthly subscription for a year without break you would get a perpetual at the end of it with the current version at the time. It was an awesome model but sadly it ended as well, of course.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.