Redshift moving to Subscription Only --

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, for reasons I explained earlier in this thread, companies love the subscription model more than they love their customers.  So what market forces does this create if EVERY perpetual license we h

Seems like  maxon has no plans to include Redshift in C4D natively. They gave up on physical render too so I wonder how long they can keep charging the same insane prices without a decent built in ren

Quite simple....this decision is NOT made with the customer in mind.  Rather, the only ones who benefit from this are the business owners as it creates a guaranteed stream of revenue going into their

Posted Images

13 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Is this a precursor to Cinema 4D also moving to subscription only? 

Without a doubt in my mind: absolutely.

This and previous actions on the part of Maxon seem to come straight out of Adobe's play book (which is probably why ex-Adobe management was hired to assist Maxon in this process):

First, introduce the rental model but keep the perpetual license, and make certain both are initially presented as equal alternatives. This is to ensure to avoid a user uprising. Sooth any nay-sayer users, but never allow anyone in your organization to confirm that your end goal is rental only.

Present it as "freedom of choice", or along similar lines.

Next, with each new release clearly present the rental version as the ever more affordable and attractive alternative. Incrementally reduce exposure of the perpetual license on the website in favour of the rental option(s) and reduce access to it. Keep touting the advantages for the user of rental rather than perpetual. The goal here is to slowly and seamlessly prime and groom the larger user base to accept rental as the preferred option rather than perpetual licenses. Provide extra perks for users who rent your software. Reduce perks and updates for perpetual users.

And at no time mention the end goal. Keep users in the dark. "Listen" to your users by providing additional rental options. Cater towards companies and small/medium sized businesses (which generally really like rental options due to fiscal benefits).

It is important to continuously stress the attractiveness of rental licenses, while adding more and more to the unattractive qualities of the perpetual license. Convince as many existing perpetual users to make the switch to rental. And very important here is the use of language: instead of "rent" rather use "subscribe", or even better: allow for no distinction: "buy" or "purchase". (The younger generation of users is no longer quite so aware of the distinction between renting software and purchasing software anyway. This is great for software companies.)

In the final stages before ending access to new perpetual licenses it is necessary to complicate the process of updating existing perpetual licensed versions as much as is possible. At the same time,  it is expected that a segment of older loyal perpetual users will never accept rental licenses. This won't matter, since the less expensive rental model probably already increased revenue by a large margin.

It is at this time that the company will release statements about how for the sake of continued development, the benefit of improved features of the software, and the company itself that perpetual licenses be discontinued. "if it's good for you, it's good for the company, and vice versa". Along those lines.

The company may opt to keep the peace, allow this user group access to a perpetual license for the time being, but no new perpetual licenses will be available. Drastically increase update pricing, and after a few releases stop perpetual updates entirely. Or be more cold-hearted, and disallow perpetual users to update their licenses. After all, by this time that group of users is probably reduced to a small minority.

Happy company! And accepting users (for the most part).

Not owning a GPU I had been waiting to get an RTX 3070  (when prices are "fair" again) and been on the lookout for either Redshift, Octane or both. But as perpetual license, not subscription.

Not sure what to do now, but it seems the dilemma to choose Redshift, Octane or both has clearly resolved itself by the time I will be buying an RTX.

That is unless Octane also goes subscription only ...

Well, if all decent renderes are going subscription only it's bye bye 3D hobby for me ... or stick with the current Physical ... or step over to Blender.

12 minutes ago, dast said:

Well, if all decent renderes are going subscription only it's bye bye 3D hobby for me ... or stick with the current Physical ... or step over to Blender.

Cycles is a capable, just a little slow 😉

But for that you can purchase E-Cycles or wait for the new Cycles X... whenever that happens.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

Not really sure whether Octane allows perpetual licenses or not.  Like Hvanderwegen said, they keep that information pretty well buried.  Otoy does  have a page for purchasing annual maintenance but there is this rather ominous note buried deep in the page "see FAQ for perpetual license limitations and support terms after maintenance period expires".  Well, you go to the FAQ page and I can find no direct question on this subject.   So while giving the impression that perpetual licenses are offered, I really am not sure.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

2 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

I'm almost 100% sure Octane offers perpetuals. Same model as X-Particles etc. Pay once, then pay maintenance if you want updates.

Agreeing with you there....but if you just extended your image copy just a little bit more, you would see what gave me the concerns in my previous post:

image.png.0d8080033edba47030d5c5595690e903.png

I can understand how the end of maintenance means end of support, but they also mention "perpetual license limitations" as well and then refer you to an FAQ for details but there is nothing directly addressing what happens to your perpetual license after your maintenance expires in that FAQ section.

Am I over-reacting?  Reading too much into it?  Maybe.  But the way these companies act only increases my paranoia rather than my trust. 

If you have more details about what happens to a perpetual license when maintenance expires, please share them.  I may become a Octane user if they can be trusted to never abandon perpetual licenses....but who can say that for sure?

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

45 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

If you have more details about what happens to a perpetual license when maintenance expires, please share them.  I may become a Octane user if they can be trusted to never abandon perpetual licenses....but who can say that for sure?

Same here.

I was about to finally dive into the world of GPU rendering (when I get my hands on a RTX GPU) and was looking to purchase a perpetual license of Redshift, Octane, or both. Recently was pointed in another discussion to the fact that Corona render would be a nice CPU-only alternative. But as that is subscription only it doesn't fit my budget. And now with Redshift going subscription only ... that's another one I can remove from my want-to list.

Octane and U-Render seem to be the only candidates left. Unless they go subscription-only as well ...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.