Redshift moving to Subscription Only --

Redshift for Blender is not as widely known, because it is still in beta (admittedly it's quite far along, though). So the installer recognizes existing Blender installations, but you can't actively install the plugin with the installer. You need to copy some folders and files manually as described in the Redshift forum Blender thread here.

I have mixed feelings about this announcement. At work, we have a C4D+RS subscription, but we also needed extra licenses for Maya and 3DS Max. The fact that our C4D subscription will now include Redshift for all DCC apps makes things easier, as everything can now be handled through our floating C4D licenses.

At home, I use Redshift as a hobby, so I am not particularly happy about the change. I appreciate the move to the MyMaxon account, though. I often work on my desktop machine and on my laptop. I move C4D licenses between the two all the time, and it's a breeze with the MyMaxon account. With Redshift, I do this less often, as it requires more (easy enough) steps. Having this more streamlined like Cinema is a nice little QOL improvement.

One thing we always don't consider though, is that technically, you cannot own a software. You only get a license for using it, so from a legal POV, perpetual vs. subscription is theoretically only about how long you are permitted to use the software (infinite vs. time limited). I know this doesn't really help, but I find it an interesting thing to remind myself about nonetheless every now and then.

What's unclear to me is whether I can still extend my maintenance after August 31st. I know you can extend it all the way up to August 2024 as the very final date, but I don't understand if you have to do this beforehand or if you can still extend maintenance after the switch. I am also worried what all this is going to mean for R25 perpetual in September...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, for reasons I explained earlier in this thread, companies love the subscription model more than they love their customers.  So what market forces does this create if EVERY perpetual license we h

Seems like  maxon has no plans to include Redshift in C4D natively. They gave up on physical render too so I wonder how long they can keep charging the same insane prices without a decent built in ren

Quite simple....this decision is NOT made with the customer in mind.  Rather, the only ones who benefit from this are the business owners as it creates a guaranteed stream of revenue going into their

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Daniel Seebacher said:

What's unclear to me is whether I can still extend my maintenance after August 31st. I know you can extend it all the way up to August 2024 as the very final date, but I don't understand if you have to do this beforehand or if you can still extend maintenance after the switch. I am also worried what all this is going to mean for R25 perpetual in September...

Is there a link where I can find more information on extending maintenance through 2024?

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

1 hour ago, bentraje said:

time and time again.
its okay to introduce subscription option
BUT WHY DISCRIMINATE THE PERPETUAL?

There's little to no overhead in keeping both.

What gives?

Quite simple....this decision is NOT made with the customer in mind.  Rather, the only ones who benefit from this are the business owners as it creates a guaranteed stream of revenue going into their bank accounts. Subscriptions captures the user base more so than ever before.  With perpetual licenses, if you were not happy with the upgrades, etc.  you just stop paying for the upgrades and continue to use the software.  The developer looses future revenue should the user make the decision to hold fast with what they have. Under a subscription plan, that same decision also takes away the ability to use the software.    Regardless of what comes next you must keep paying to just use the software -- even if nothing you care about get's fixed or improved. This is the model every company wants to be in -- especially as a product matures and the technology to stand out amongst your competitors becomes more complex and expensive to develop.  Re-occurring revenue streams raises the value of every company and that is why they do it.  

Remember, new features is NOT a mandate of the subscription license.  That is an agreement we imprint on the developers based on history -- but there is nothing legally binding should a new release NOT occur while under subscription.  I bring up this (hopefully ludicrous) scenario to make the following point:   Where is the incentive to compete on new features released each year when the user base is locked into paying regardless of what the next release provides?  We have seen this happen with Max,  with Adobe Premiere and to some extent Adobe After Effects as well (based on some of the complaints I have heard) and so there is a precedent.   

Will this happen with C4D?  Not sure....but history is on our side when it comes to justifying our concerns.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

Yeah, with a more-or-less deprecated render engine, it's increasingly going to be difficult for them to command the yearly fee they want. If I were being generous, I'd hope they'd roll in Redshift once Radeon is supported on windows too. Or if they want to sell the base C4D as just a DCC for serving Unreal/ 3RD party engines, they need to drop the price a bit, I think.

On 7/21/2021 at 9:15 PM, Adrien said:

Seems like  maxon has no plans to include Redshift in C4D natively. They gave up on physical render too so I wonder how long they can keep charging the same insane prices without a decent built in render engine. 

I am not shure about that. For me this screams "unfortunately we are unable to continue c4d perpetual, as redshift is now included into the all new and expensive C4D subsciption and there is no perpetual redshift license"

20 years ago i started with c4d because I had the feeling that many people would love the userinterface. Now I have the feeling that in 20 Years a lot of people will use Blender, because subscription is not the right thing for everyone. And the companies have nothing against free software when it is capable and they find good artists.

I don't know what I will do. All I know is that I finished the transition away from Adobe and am really xtreemly happy with it. Maybe I have to wait a couple of years till the request is there and blender is even better usable. The funy thung is, that I would prefer to pay for my software, so that the developers can make apropper living, but on the other hand I also can pay the blender foundation.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.