Redshift moving to Subscription Only --

DasFrodo

Not owning a GPU I had been waiting to get an RTX 3070  (when prices are "fair" again) and been on the lookout for either Redshift, Octane or both. But as perpetual license, not subscription.

Not sure what to do now, but it seems the dilemma to choose Redshift, Octane or both has clearly resolved itself by the time I will be buying an RTX.

That is unless Octane also goes subscription only ...

Well, if all decent renderes are going subscription only it's bye bye 3D hobby for me ... or stick with the current Physical ... or step over to Blender.

12 minutes ago, dast said:

Well, if all decent renderes are going subscription only it's bye bye 3D hobby for me ... or stick with the current Physical ... or step over to Blender.

Cycles is a capable, just a little slow 😉

But for that you can purchase E-Cycles or wait for the new Cycles X... whenever that happens.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

Not really sure whether Octane allows perpetual licenses or not.  Like Hvanderwegen said, they keep that information pretty well buried.  Otoy does  have a page for purchasing annual maintenance but there is this rather ominous note buried deep in the page "see FAQ for perpetual license limitations and support terms after maintenance period expires".  Well, you go to the FAQ page and I can find no direct question on this subject.   So while giving the impression that perpetual licenses are offered, I really am not sure.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

2 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

I'm almost 100% sure Octane offers perpetuals. Same model as X-Particles etc. Pay once, then pay maintenance if you want updates.

Agreeing with you there....but if you just extended your image copy just a little bit more, you would see what gave me the concerns in my previous post:

image.png.0d8080033edba47030d5c5595690e903.png

I can understand how the end of maintenance means end of support, but they also mention "perpetual license limitations" as well and then refer you to an FAQ for details but there is nothing directly addressing what happens to your perpetual license after your maintenance expires in that FAQ section.

Am I over-reacting?  Reading too much into it?  Maybe.  But the way these companies act only increases my paranoia rather than my trust. 

If you have more details about what happens to a perpetual license when maintenance expires, please share them.  I may become a Octane user if they can be trusted to never abandon perpetual licenses....but who can say that for sure?

Dave

45 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

If you have more details about what happens to a perpetual license when maintenance expires, please share them.  I may become a Octane user if they can be trusted to never abandon perpetual licenses....but who can say that for sure?

Same here.

I was about to finally dive into the world of GPU rendering (when I get my hands on a RTX GPU) and was looking to purchase a perpetual license of Redshift, Octane, or both. Recently was pointed in another discussion to the fact that Corona render would be a nice CPU-only alternative. But as that is subscription only it doesn't fit my budget. And now with Redshift going subscription only ... that's another one I can remove from my want-to list.

Octane and U-Render seem to be the only candidates left. Unless they go subscription-only as well ...

The differences are more or less a lack of access to the realtime online features. ie the live database of readymade materials and the ability to use their cloud rendering services. A bit like Maxon making cineversity only for subscribers.

4 hours ago, dast said:

Octane and U-Render seem to be the only candidates left. Unless they go subscription-only as well ...

We plan to offer subscription as people are genuinely interested but we have no plans to terminate perpetual license any time soon. So no worries about that. :cowboypistol:

5 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Agreeing with you there....but if you just extended your image copy just a little bit more, you would see what gave me the concerns in my previous post:

image.png.0d8080033edba47030d5c5595690e903.png

I can understand how the end of maintenance means end of support, but they also mention "perpetual license limitations" as well and then refer you to an FAQ for details but there is nothing directly addressing what happens to your perpetual license after your maintenance expires in that FAQ section.

Am I over-reacting?  Reading too much into it?  Maybe.  But the way these companies act only increases my paranoia rather than my trust. 

Dave

Well in that case, just post in the forums or write an E-Mail to the support. I'm sure they will help you. The Octane team is pretty great.

33 minutes ago, DasFrodo said:

Well in that case, just post in the forums or write an E-Mail to the support. I'm sure they will help you. The Octane team is pretty great.

Well...regardless...one big draw is that Octane supports Blender.

That makes it really interesting.  How slow is Eevee compared to Octane?

Dave

1 minute ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Well...regardless...one big draw is that Octane supports Blender.

That makes it really interesting.  How slow is Eevee compared to Octane?

Dave

Redshift supports Blender as well. I didn't know that either until I stumbled over it in the Redshift forums. Runs surprisingly well. Some features are not implemented yet but you can already do A LOT.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community