Redshift moving to Subscription Only --

DasFrodo

5 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Well...regardless...one big draw is that Octane supports Blender.

That makes it really interesting.  How slow is Eevee compared to Octane?

Dave

Eeve is virtually real time. Think of the Maxon's viewport with everything turned on--screen space reflections, ambient occlusion, max antialiasing...and then imagine that taken up two notches in features and quality.

Perhaps you meant to ask about the relative speed of Octane and Cycles?

Octane is true unbiased rendering. It is currently faster than Cycles, IMO. Cycles X, a complete re-write, is underway, and looks promising.

Am I the only one who is more concerned with the way the development progressed since a a short time before Maxon bought Redshift? Don't get me wrong, I like Redshift a lot and it is my go-to render but it feels like nothing "new" or money worth has been implemented that appeals to me. OCIO is great but I never use it, Mac support? Cool for them but I only use Windows. A bunch of Houdini additions and Blender support? Nice, but I only use Cinema...

I have 3 Redshift licenses and the only good thing about the monthly subscription is that I can turn 2 off when I am not doing extensive rendering

10 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

How slow is Eevee compared to Octane?

4 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

Perhaps you meant to ask about the relative speed of Octane and Cycles?

Octane is true unbiased rendering. It is currently faster than Cycles, IMO. Cycles X, a complete re-write, is underway, and looks promising.

Check out this video. It's a real-world comparison of both CPU and GPU render engines.

1 hour ago, hvanderwegen said:

Check out this video. It's a real-world comparison of both CPU and GPU render engines. I am curious to see what Cycles X can do. I don't know for sure if it's true, but the guy who built Cycles

Saw that video last week. From my experience Octane is about 40% faster, that's why I wrote, "It is currently faster than Cycles, IMO."

For anyone who enjoys some good back story on tech, and info on key players...Brecht Van Lommel is a name you need to know.

Brecht built the original Cycles Renderer for the Blender Foundation. 

He also worked as a contractor for Otoy in the early design of Octane. Then from 2014-2017 he worked for Solid Angle / Autodesk as developer and tech lead on the Arnold renderer core.  (LinkedIn excerpt: "Focused on volume rendering, shading systems, sampling and performance, interactive rendering. Lead development for Arnold 5.0.)

Then couple years ago he returned to the Blender Foundation, and is spearheading work on Cycles X.

The top people in GPU rendering must be quite a small and elite fraternity, and Brecht is a titan in that group.

13 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

Redshift supports Blender as well. I didn't know that either until I stumbled over it in the Redshift forums. Runs surprisingly well. Some features are not implemented yet but you can already do A LOT.

Really!  

No....really?

Had you not said it, I never would have known because it is not listed at their site (cheeky bastards).  But a quick search and I came up with this announcement page from last November (only 8 months ago....no need to put it on the Redshift main page yet.

Hmmm....I see my future changing with each passing day.  It would be nice to just chuck all this disappointment and worry over how Maxon is trashing C4D's reputation in their drive to full subscriptions and move on to Blender.  I do sense that Blender users are probably happier with the direction of the Blender.org than C4D users are with Maxon. Plus Blender has some exciting new developments going on such as Cycles X and I hear yet another huge leap in the UI with Version 3.0

I do love X-Particles and Redshift though....but then again Blender supports Octane which in-turn supports Embergen.  If Insydium decides to port XP to Blender, my decision would be easier to make.  I hope they do that as they must already be familiar with the Blender SDK having worked on Cycles 4D.

Should Maxon announce subscription only for C4D in September (as we all fear they will), then I really need to evaluate making the transition to Blender/Octane/Embergen....that is a lot of new stuff to learn and it will take some time for a part time hobbyist to make that transition.  

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

Redshift for Blender is not as widely known, because it is still in beta (admittedly it's quite far along, though). So the installer recognizes existing Blender installations, but you can't actively install the plugin with the installer. You need to copy some folders and files manually as described in the Redshift forum Blender thread here.

I have mixed feelings about this announcement. At work, we have a C4D+RS subscription, but we also needed extra licenses for Maya and 3DS Max. The fact that our C4D subscription will now include Redshift for all DCC apps makes things easier, as everything can now be handled through our floating C4D licenses.

At home, I use Redshift as a hobby, so I am not particularly happy about the change. I appreciate the move to the MyMaxon account, though. I often work on my desktop machine and on my laptop. I move C4D licenses between the two all the time, and it's a breeze with the MyMaxon account. With Redshift, I do this less often, as it requires more (easy enough) steps. Having this more streamlined like Cinema is a nice little QOL improvement.

One thing we always don't consider though, is that technically, you cannot own a software. You only get a license for using it, so from a legal POV, perpetual vs. subscription is theoretically only about how long you are permitted to use the software (infinite vs. time limited). I know this doesn't really help, but I find it an interesting thing to remind myself about nonetheless every now and then.

What's unclear to me is whether I can still extend my maintenance after August 31st. I know you can extend it all the way up to August 2024 as the very final date, but I don't understand if you have to do this beforehand or if you can still extend maintenance after the switch. I am also worried what all this is going to mean for R25 perpetual in September...

3 hours ago, Daniel Seebacher said:

What's unclear to me is whether I can still extend my maintenance after August 31st. I know you can extend it all the way up to August 2024 as the very final date, but I don't understand if you have to do this beforehand or if you can still extend maintenance after the switch. I am also worried what all this is going to mean for R25 perpetual in September...

Is there a link where I can find more information on extending maintenance through 2024?

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.