New Forum Category Recommendation - Exporting

The announcement that Redshift is going to subscription only has renewed everyone's fears that Maxon may drop the bomb in September that C4D will be moving to subscription only.  No one really knows but it would follow the Adobe timeline if it happened.  

So that got me to thinking --- what is the biggest fear to the hobbyist about subscriptions.  Well,  subscriptions do move the user base from a "pay to upgrade" to a "pay to use" model, which kills all incentive for innovation and software development.  Like other companies in a subscription model have shown us, over time you are paying for the same bugs, same missing features and essentially the same software year after year.  And you cannot break away from that trap otherwise you will loose all access to your past work.

....but is that necessarily true? 

This has led to me to proposing the following C4D Core forum topic - Exporting.

We do not talk about exporting to other platforms enough.   What is the best way to prep your scenes, your texture files, your animation caches for export?  What are the best export options?  How important is clean topology in your models to creating clean UV's during exporting?  Are their really good external export programs that solve these problems for us?  Can you export to previous versions of C4D via FBX?  What are the limitations? How far back can you go?

Essentially, if the hobbyist became a master of exporting, would we fear subscriptions as much?  Hard drive space is pretty cheap (a lot cheaper than what Maxon charges for a perpetual license) so just export your completed C4D work to FBX, alembic, whatever and store it for future use.  

Sub-categories on Exporting to Houdini, Blender, modo, etc could be created as well with tips on import settings within those programs as well.

Honestly a whole cottage industry around scene conversions could be built up in this new subscription only world.  Tutorials on converting from one platform to another, services for converting, and/or external programs for converting could be great market opportunities.    

Yeah....give Maxon what they want but use the subscription to your own benefit and not theirs --- go monthly rather than yearly -- only using the "latest and greatest" version when you need it -- convert it to another platform and default back to your last perpetual license for all the other months.  

While I love C4D, I perversely find beating Maxon at their own game gives me a greater pleasure.

Just a thought.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

I guess would make sense. I need to see how would I organize this and where I would fit it.

Thank you Igor....but as this is an (admittedly) narrow subject, is there a way to pulse people first if there is interest?  

Dave

29 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Thank you Igor....but as this is an (admittedly) narrow subject, is there a way to pulse people first if there is interest?  

Dave

Would be hard to tell without trying out. But as we are mostly C4D users only with some exceptions I doubt it would make sense right now. Maybe in a long run if we ever become more than just C4D community. 

Not sure if exporting would be the solution, but it sure is a nice idea to try and collect as much info regarding as many workflows as possible.

Some may not see the need, and I agree that the current community is mostly C4D orientated.

But if possible workflows are presented and explained, it might lead to more and more people trying out and adapting workflows to their own need.

The main problem is we need pioneers who know what they're doing to get things started ... and be able to explain to the less techy-minded (myself included) how to go about.

Unfortunately, I seem to have noticed that the community as a whole, with exception of a few die-hards, is becoming less and less involved in providing feedback. Most people here seem to look for an answer, to never be seen again when their question gets answered. Some even aren't seen again right after having posted their question.

3 minutes ago, Igor said:

Would be hard to tell without trying out. But as we are mostly C4D users only with some exceptions I doubt it would make sense right now. Maybe in a long run if we ever become more than just C4D community. 

Agreed.  Makes sense.  If I leave C4D, I will be going to Blender and therefore will still be involved with the Core 4D site as your Blender thread is very informative.  I also feel that I am not the only one thinking that way.  Only the brilliant and the brave go to Houdini!!😀

Dave

Like Daniel said, we would need some Blender pioneers to start and then see how it goes. Lets not forget this community is 20y in the making. Anyway, I think only time will tell how and where we end up. 

• Customer

Funnily enough I was recently struggling with the workflow of exporting from C4D to Clarisse and eventually figured it out. 

I think the information is useful although it may be a 'one and done' where it's in threads rather than entire category.

I agree that it's good information to have but not always straightforward to figure out.