Adobe joins Blender Development Fund

Guest Igor

10 hours ago, zeden said:

But as awesome the materializer example is it shows you can easily spend hundreds and hundreds of bucks on modeling, uv, rigging, rendering tools you have by default in other apps.

Many add-ons merely improve quality of life in Blender rather than anything else. Everything Materializer does can already be done without the addon, but it adds a LOT of convenience and workflow speedup.

As for the other tools: arguably the UV tools + UDIM, sculpting tools, viewport, built-in renderers (Cycles and Eevee), compositing are already much of an improvement compared to Cinema4D.

(Obviously C4D still steals the show with MoGraph - but what else is there left?)

And many free add-ons, including the standard collection that is part of Blender, only improve quality of life further. Then there are additional free render options such as LuxRender, AMD ProRender, Renderman, Appleseed, Yafaray, ... And a free version of Octane for single GPU users.

One thing Maxon may have to deal with is the performance boost that Blender v3 is going to provide: in my tests v3 alpha's raw mesh editing is currently far ahead of Cinema4d. I have tested single-mesh models that choke Cinema4D 24 while Blender 3 alpha happily chugs along. I've noticed that B v3 alpha is more or less on par with Houdini. Only Max is a fair bit faster than the rest.

B handles scenes with many objects already much better than Cinema4D, and version 3 is only going to further the distance now that the B devs are actively working on improving mesh and sub-d performance. And this is also already true for sculpting mode which performs much much better in B.

In effect, Maxon has some work ahead of them to keep Cinema4D's performance on par with the other DCCs. What worries me is that Maxon already has rewritten the core to boost performance, so I am unsure how much more it could be improved. Or if they have the intention to - they may feel that the current performance is fine (which is not the case in my opinion).

The base C4D package relies too much on external paid-for tools. The cost of upkeep is too high for what it provides the user with in its current state in my opinion.

But perhaps R25 will be a super update 🙂

15 hours ago, Cairyn said:

...Truth be told, now that Redshift goes subscription, and Insydium goes Fused, and MD has gone subscription some time ago, I am a bit anxious what surprises R25 will come up with.

Oh, you're right. So as a Blender user, you would only have around 1.300 €/year to spend on Plugins 😉

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community