Adobe joins Blender Development Fund

Guest Igor

So this happen. I am curious whats the goal here from Adobe. Pure marketing or something else...heres the statement.

“We are thrilled Adobe is joining the Blender Development Fund to help ensure the longevity and success of this dynamic open-source community.” said Sébastien Deguy, VP of 3D & Immersive at Adobe. “We’re excited to help strengthen and improve this accessible suite of tools.”

“This is a great step forward,” says Blender founder and chairman Ton Roosendaal, “it’s a prime example of the industry increasingly accepting to work with free/open source software.”

Adobe joins Blender Development Fund — blender.org

• Guest unfeatured this topic

Yeah, not sure what to think of this.

Only marketing in the hopes of getting something bigger out of it. Or are they trying to get a foot in the door and make Blender follow the footsteps of Substance Painter?

Sometimes people start to get really paranoid. Me included.

i think we should dont worry about it. ever given biggest biggest  money  to i from epic games and seems like they will continue to do this when period is ends. also there amazon, nvidia and amd. adobe is huge company but other ones also not small. to making money epic chose free usage up to 1 million income per game. also amazon lumberyard becomed opensource. so there is so big companies supports or on the same side as blender. also blender have huge supporters. their youtube have 850 000 subscribers.  maxon has 250. so love and support of users is huge fundament to blender is rising. also there very big companies. i think blender unstopable. 

also ton rosendal in case of dead (he was sick) already choosed who will continue after him. so there is future also save for blender.  blender is tons baby. and looks like he  does everything for bright future for his child. just only this does big respect in 3d world i think.

I don't know what to think anymore, these business games, just kills everyone's desire to do art, at least this is what I see from those who are long in this game. Younger generation will just go with the flow. Professionals will just had to accept it as this is their job. For those who do this more as a hobby, Blender will be way to go or they will find new hobby.

Good thing is that Blender cannot be purchased as its owned by non-profit organization. So at least there will be one free choice for those who are willing to try and for those who can accept reality of things that business model changes in 21st century where $$ and investors are more important than any customer out there.

We can only wait and see how things evolve and hope for the best.

Honestly, I begin to feel really uncomfortable with the whole industry-situation. I am the master of my tools, not their puppet. The way things are going ... everyone just seems keen to suck the life out of the art. 

I'm seriously looking back to pencil and paper 😕

I understand the concerns of some here, but I tend to frame this in a more positive way.

- Blender has never charged a penny. They have never given anyone reason to think they will. They have repeatedly vowed to stay true to the spirit of open software.

- This isn't a partnership! The Blender Foundation won't 'owe' Adobe any favors, any inside information, nor any corporate obligations. If Adobe wants to fund specific areas of development for Blender, yes, that might be it's privilege. No biggie.

7 hours ago, keppn said:

Honestly, I begin to feel really uncomfortable with the whole industry-situation. I am the master of my tools, not their puppet. The way things are going ... everyone just seems keen to suck the life out of the art. 

I'm seriously looking back to pencil and paper 😕

I certainly understand how Maxon has sucked the life out of some. Have you explored other options?

Nothing to worry about here - except perhaps that Adobe is thinking "if you can't beat them, join them". Other companies have funded Blender development, and for them it is an easy method to raise some 'free' marketing buzz.

Blender will always be open source and the licensing does not allow it to be 'purchased' by a company.

Adobe might have been looking for a 3d DCC in the past, but the way I see it is that they are now more interested in providing painting/texturing tools, which fits their product line much better. Acquiring Substance Designer and Painter made/makes business sense for Adobe.

The latest Photoshop release seems to be compatible with Substances as well, I have read (I haven't tried this yet).

And I've just been testing the new Substances add-on for Blender - it is already pretty brilliant. Seamless and easy to load substances that are easily found anywhere on the web. Image maps are automatically generated at up to 4096px for saving as images (I wish 8192px were possible, though). All PBR material channels are automatically taken care off.

Combine this with the Fluent Materializer add-on, and the sky is the limit with very easy mixable high quality materials!

And all for free - amazing (well the Fluent Materializer add-on is $35).

https://cgthoughts.gumroad.com/l/materializer

PS I also noticed that there's a Mixamo Blender add-on to load up Mixamo rigs and animations directly in Blender.

On 7/20/2021 at 4:58 PM, Igor said:

I don't know what to think anymore, these business games, just kills everyone's desire to do art, at least this is what I see from those who are long in this game.

Totally agree.

Business is ever more brutal not as if that has changed drastically, but that its willing to be that transparent that its ripping the customer off and expecting you to celebrate with them.  The humanistic part found in art is ever lost in the politics of business from pure greed  within the monopoly game.  

Adobe is in it to win it, and as long as there is financial gain to be had they will get in on it.  Thats business and its cut throat to the hobbyist, they simply dont count.

Dan

ArtStation    Website 

On 7/21/2021 at 6:21 AM, hvanderwegen said:

Nothing to worry about here - except perhaps that Adobe is thinking "if you can't beat them, join them". Other companies have funded Blender development, and for them it is an easy method to raise some 'free' marketing buzz.

Blender will always be open source and the licensing does not allow it to be 'purchased' by a company.

Adobe might have been looking for a 3d DCC in the past, but the way I see it is that they are now more interested in providing painting/texturing tools, which fits their product line much better. Acquiring Substance Designer and Painter made/makes business sense for Adobe.

The latest Photoshop release seems to be compatible with Substances as well, I have read (I haven't tried this yet).

And I've just been testing the new Substances add-on for Blender - it is already pretty brilliant. Seamless and easy to load substances that are easily found anywhere on the web. Image maps are automatically generated at up to 4096px for saving as images (I wish 8192px were possible, though). All PBR material channels are automatically taken care off.

Combine this with the Fluent Materializer add-on, and the sky is the limit with very easy mixable high quality materials!

And all for free - amazing (well the Fluent Materializer add-on is $35).

https://cgthoughts.gumroad.com/l/materializer

PS I also noticed that there's a Mixamo Blender add-on to load up Mixamo rigs and animations directly in Blender.

I think there is a slight misconception about Blender. Yes, the software is really becoming great. But as awesome the materializer example is it shows you can easily spend hundreds and hundreds of bucks on modeling, uv, rigging, rendering tools you have by default in other apps.

In my opinion Maxon needs to speed up and continue to buy 3rd party tools. The gaps in the software are not acceptable anymore. And I already have Blender and Maya INdie installed. The whole simulation and rendering department is underdevloped. RS needs to be part of default C4D. We bascially have a render engine from 2011 as default.

Maybe you need lots of PlugIns to get Blender "feature-complete". But if you want a competitive C4D, you need at least a 3rd-party-Renderer and X-Particles:

C4D + Redshift: ~ 867 €/year (ex VAT)

Insydium Fused:  ~ 843 €/year (ex VAT)

And C4D will still have a lack of features in Modeling, Sculpting and UV (especially UV mapping!). Besides that, the C4D path seems to be subscription all the way:

You could buy lot's of plugins for 1.710 €. Every year.

You could even buy lot's of plugins, Houdini (Indie) and Modo for 1.710 €. Every year.

You could even buy all that stuff, and still rent C4D on a monthly basis, if an old client asks for an update of an old job.

In light of this, I totally agree with you. Cinema 4D should really fill it's gaps. Because nowadays it's very costly.

2 minutes ago, Babumbol said:

Insydium Fused:  ~ 843 €/year (ex VAT)

That's the Perpetual price, the maintenance for that is 223.20€ per year, or if you must have a subscription, it's 431.52€.

Of course, you can easily make good the difference with other tools. Marvelous Designer e.g. because C4D's cloth engine is lacking (now only as subscription...); ZBrush and/or 3DCoat (the latter has a new version btw); maybe Ornatrix because C4D's hair/fur system is getting long in the tooth.

What one considers "feature complete" is fairly variable. What you need in Blender plugins is very debatable. There are tons of free plugins, and Blender's core features are growing by the version. At the moment, I don't even have a good overview over the "must haves" for Blender.

...Truth be told, now that Redshift goes subscription, and Insydium goes Fused, and MD has gone subscription some time ago, I am a bit anxious what surprises R25 will come up with.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community