Adobe joins Blender Development Fund

Igor

On 7/21/2021 at 6:21 AM, hvanderwegen said:

Nothing to worry about here - except perhaps that Adobe is thinking "if you can't beat them, join them". Other companies have funded Blender development, and for them it is an easy method to raise some 'free' marketing buzz.

Blender will always be open source and the licensing does not allow it to be 'purchased' by a company.

Adobe might have been looking for a 3d DCC in the past, but the way I see it is that they are now more interested in providing painting/texturing tools, which fits their product line much better. Acquiring Substance Designer and Painter made/makes business sense for Adobe.

The latest Photoshop release seems to be compatible with Substances as well, I have read (I haven't tried this yet).

And I've just been testing the new Substances add-on for Blender - it is already pretty brilliant. Seamless and easy to load substances that are easily found anywhere on the web. Image maps are automatically generated at up to 4096px for saving as images (I wish 8192px were possible, though). All PBR material channels are automatically taken care off.

Combine this with the Fluent Materializer add-on, and the sky is the limit with very easy mixable high quality materials!

And all for free - amazing (well the Fluent Materializer add-on is $35).

https://cgthoughts.gumroad.com/l/materializer

PS I also noticed that there's a Mixamo Blender add-on to load up Mixamo rigs and animations directly in Blender.

I think there is a slight misconception about Blender. Yes, the software is really becoming great. But as awesome the materializer example is it shows you can easily spend hundreds and hundreds of bucks on modeling, uv, rigging, rendering tools you have by default in other apps.

In my opinion Maxon needs to speed up and continue to buy 3rd party tools. The gaps in the software are not acceptable anymore. And I already have Blender and Maya INdie installed. The whole simulation and rendering department is underdevloped. RS needs to be part of default C4D. We bascially have a render engine from 2011 as default.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly, I begin to feel really uncomfortable with the whole industry-situation. I am the master of my tools, not their puppet. The way things are going ... everyone just seems keen to suck the life

I think there is a slight misconception about Blender. Yes, the software is really becoming great. But as awesome the materializer example is it shows you can easily spend hundreds and hundreds of buc

Nothing to worry about here - except perhaps that Adobe is thinking "if you can't beat them, join them". Other companies have funded Blender development, and for them it is an easy method to raise som

Maybe you need lots of PlugIns to get Blender "feature-complete". But if you want a competitive C4D, you need at least a 3rd-party-Renderer and X-Particles:

C4D + Redshift: ~ 867 €/year (ex VAT)

Insydium Fused:  ~ 843 €/year (ex VAT)

And C4D will still have a lack of features in Modeling, Sculpting and UV (especially UV mapping!). Besides that, the C4D path seems to be subscription all the way:

You could buy lot's of plugins for 1.710 €. Every year.

You could even buy lot's of plugins, Houdini (Indie) and Modo for 1.710 €. Every year.

You could even buy all that stuff, and still rent C4D on a monthly basis, if an old client asks for an update of an old job.

In light of this, I totally agree with you. Cinema 4D should really fill it's gaps. Because nowadays it's very costly.

2 minutes ago, Babumbol said:

Insydium Fused:  ~ 843 €/year (ex VAT)

That's the Perpetual price, the maintenance for that is 223.20€ per year, or if you must have a subscription, it's 431.52€.

Of course, you can easily make good the difference with other tools. Marvelous Designer e.g. because C4D's cloth engine is lacking (now only as subscription...); ZBrush and/or 3DCoat (the latter has a new version btw); maybe Ornatrix because C4D's hair/fur system is getting long in the tooth.

What one considers "feature complete" is fairly variable. What you need in Blender plugins is very debatable. There are tons of free plugins, and Blender's core features are growing by the version. At the moment, I don't even have a good overview over the "must haves" for Blender.

...Truth be told, now that Redshift goes subscription, and Insydium goes Fused, and MD has gone subscription some time ago, I am a bit anxious what surprises R25 will come up with.

10 hours ago, zeden said:

But as awesome the materializer example is it shows you can easily spend hundreds and hundreds of bucks on modeling, uv, rigging, rendering tools you have by default in other apps.

Many add-ons merely improve quality of life in Blender rather than anything else. Everything Materializer does can already be done without the addon, but it adds a LOT of convenience and workflow speedup.

As for the other tools: arguably the UV tools + UDIM, sculpting tools, viewport, built-in renderers (Cycles and Eevee), compositing are already much of an improvement compared to Cinema4D.

(Obviously C4D still steals the show with MoGraph - but what else is there left?)

And many free add-ons, including the standard collection that is part of Blender, only improve quality of life further. Then there are additional free render options such as LuxRender, AMD ProRender, Renderman, Appleseed, Yafaray, ... And a free version of Octane for single GPU users.

One thing Maxon may have to deal with is the performance boost that Blender v3 is going to provide: in my tests v3 alpha's raw mesh editing is currently far ahead of Cinema4d. I have tested single-mesh models that choke Cinema4D 24 while Blender 3 alpha happily chugs along. I've noticed that B v3 alpha is more or less on par with Houdini. Only Max is a fair bit faster than the rest.

B handles scenes with many objects already much better than Cinema4D, and version 3 is only going to further the distance now that the B devs are actively working on improving mesh and sub-d performance. And this is also already true for sculpting mode which performs much much better in B.

In effect, Maxon has some work ahead of them to keep Cinema4D's performance on par with the other DCCs. What worries me is that Maxon already has rewritten the core to boost performance, so I am unsure how much more it could be improved. Or if they have the intention to - they may feel that the current performance is fine (which is not the case in my opinion).

The base C4D package relies too much on external paid-for tools. The cost of upkeep is too high for what it provides the user with in its current state in my opinion.

But perhaps R25 will be a super update 🙂

15 hours ago, Cairyn said:

...Truth be told, now that Redshift goes subscription, and Insydium goes Fused, and MD has gone subscription some time ago, I am a bit anxious what surprises R25 will come up with.

Oh, you're right. So as a Blender user, you would only have around 1.300 €/year to spend on Plugins 😉

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.