How can I model this tapered bump on bell surface?

EricCheng

I am trying to model this bell in C4D, but having a hard time building the bumps on the side.

1556426657_.PNG.5143fbc5c860690f780f2b7afbafcc64.PNG

The way I modeled this bell was:

(1) started from a disk

(2) made it editable and used point mode to soft selected it up til a cone shape

(3) I subdivided the shape and made it editable, extruded cuts out

614338675_Bellshape.PNG.b849d8e5ca8f91204206da6fbd17c551.PNG

BUT as you guys can see, the bump on this does not have that taper inward effect in I directly subdivide it.

SO I AM CURIOUS IF THERE IS A BETTER WAY TO DO IT OR ANYTHING CONTINUE TO DO FROM THIS STEP.

A big thank you if you can provide me with any suggestions.

I think your on the right track tho Im no expert, looks like it will work and you can add more control loops where required.

In terms of the taper, instead of extruding them out you could have rotated them out from one end. Not sure if you can do them all together but quite often with something like this you would make just one segment and put it in an array or a cloner.

So from this point you could either slice it up or do each one individually, ie select the top extruded polys, get the rotate tool but adjust the modelling axis to the bottom, then you can rotate the top back in a bit.

Deck

I think I see what you are asking - the ribs should emerge seamlessly from the top of the bell I assume ? And if that is the case we'll be needing a hinge section at the top, where you start with what you have now, but then weld the top 2 points together, which you can then solve back to quads with a quick line cut out down the sides, and running across the bottom to connect to the other side, like so...

1821567979_hingeflow.gif.04366c4a10fe5e0fc6ae533575f918d2.gif

There is also an argument for not doing the inset first before you extrude the ribs initially, which hinges (all pun intended) on whether or not you want slightly rounded / pronounced tops or not...

image.png.2d23342e6f1e0aa01804c81181f63ec3.png

Here's the 2 side by side. No insert version on left, and IMO probably better for it. Certainly less contra-flow 45 degree edges on curves ! You could also use SDS edge weighting (and an SDS level of 4 or 5) to tighten that up if needed, but I suspect you don't in this case.

CBR