Sketchfab is Joining the Epic Games Family

Guest Igor

2 minutes ago, clarence said:

Oh, that’s not what I expected. 

I wonder whats next. Past two years was all about buying out, not much innovation and breakthroughs. Or I just imagining things. 

43 minutes ago, kbar said:

I wrote their GLTF importer and store content browser plugin for UE4. I like to feel that I contributed to this buy out. 😀

And yet you miss free million on your account. 🤨

16 hours ago, Igor said:

I wonder whats next. Past two years was all about buying out, not much innovation and breakthroughs. Or I just imagining things. 

You may be right. But from my point of view, we’re still in the middle of a (mini?) revolution. Realtime rendering, 3d scanning, MetaHuman, fast physics simulation - it’s a pretty good time to be a 3d artist despite everything. 

3 minutes ago, clarence said:

You may be right. But from my point of view, we’re still in the middle of a (mini?) revolution. Realtime rendering, 3d scanning, MetaHuman, fast physics simulation - it’s a pretty good time to be a 3d artist despite everything. 

True to that, good points.

12 hours ago, kbar said:

I wrote their GLTF importer and store content browser plugin for UE4. I like to feel that I contributed to this buy out. 😀

I was so high on glTF four or five years ago.

It's never emerged to be what I'd hoped. Not that it isn't a super format, but the simple reality is that Apple and Google browsers have never pushed to make it the awesome, ubiquitous format for web browsers that we could/should have enjoyed by now.

Apple, Google, MS unsurprisingly are much more interested in their own goals than in users having nice things.

Though SFab uses glTF files it wraps those files up in its proprietary package. The original vision of a free and ubiquitous  3D .jpg-like format has not materialized.