C4D is a Pain to Model With

There is Lwcad plugin where you can draw objects with snapping

It is CAD oriented style of modeling.

Also there are many free plugins like drop to floor which you can add to key shortcut

Trust me - that scene is a total breeze to make in Cinema once you are familiar with all the tools.

1 hour ago, ShynnSup said:

How would you make this face be the same height as the other face?

Axis extension

CBR

Actually I kinda agree with OP. Yes of course you can model that scene in c4d, but lets be honest, c4d's primitive creation tools are utterly prehistoric, they're almost completely untouched since before the millennium. Despite decades of asking we still can't so much as move the axis of a cube to the side.

2 hours ago, imashination said:

Actually I kinda agree with OP. Yes of course you can model that scene in c4d, but lets be honest, c4d's primitive creation tools are utterly prehistoric, they're almost completely untouched since before the millennium. Despite decades of asking we still can't so much as move the axis of a cube to the side.

I do wonder how much actual need for that is there. I mean, not just "hey, I just thought of one more arbitrary feature, why don't we have that", but a real need to create a parametric from the sides or corners (that cannot be fulfilled by a simple compound construct).

I occasionally get the idea to limit the bevel only to certain edges. Or have a prism as parametric, with the option to round the edges but keep the sides generally flat. Or cut off the vertices like with the cube in the video above. Or create a cylinder from diamond patterns instead of checkerboard. Or...

But is that a great idea that everybody hungers for, or is it an overly specific option developers would waste their time on?

3 minutes ago, Cairyn said:

I do wonder how much actual need for that is there. I mean, not just "hey, I just thought of one more arbitrary feature, why don't we have that", but a real need to create a parametric from the sides or corners (that cannot be fulfilled by a simple compound construct).

This is standard while working with cad, architectural style of modelling in other software than C4D. Just every other software has it as standard from decade.

1 hour ago, Smolak said:

This is standard while working with cad, architectural style of modelling in other software than C4D. Just every other software has it as standard from decade.

Fine, but would you call it a need? Like, would you pay for it?

(No, I won't program it, as it would require new parametric objects which then depend on the implementing plugin, which is BS; however, it is not that difficult to implement on the existing parametrics.)

9 minutes ago, Cairyn said:

Fine, but would you call it a need? Like, would you pay for it?

When I went to Cinema from Lightwave I really had headache how to model there simple things 🙂 At the moment I don't have problem to model in Cinema but I lost month for learn how to make simple things as fast as possible using different methods.

And yes I would pay for this but at the moment there is LWCAD with own types of primitives which is not the best solution but better than nothing.

Also Cinema really needs something like HardOps, BoxCutter which will respect internal snapping system. We have NitroBoxTool – Nitro4d but it doesn't work with native snapping.

Four years ago I some how got obsessed with Class A surface and Nurbs and I wanted to build one too. Learnt Rhino then started building this Koenigsegg piece by piece. At first it wasn't pleasant to work with but the more I kept working with Rhino I kept getting better. So all I can say is keep practicing and you will start liking Cinema 4D too. It's a lot better than many other DCC apps.

And this is with Cinema 4D. This wouldn't have been possible if Cinema was that bad, now won't you say?

inquisitor-runcycle-no-credit.gif?w=1920

Koenigsegg One_1 6.png

Koenigsegg One_1 1.png

5 hours ago, Cairyn said:

I do wonder how much actual need for that is there.

I have been using C4D now for ~22 years. I'm a generalist, I do architecture, product visuals, titles, mograph stuff, landscapes, pretty much everything except character animation. I have wanted this thousands, if not tens of thousands of times. Ultimately we're talking about the fundamental ability to scale an object from one side without having to dick about with a dozen multi-step workarounds.

This is one of those abilities which you can get around, nobody is crying because they can't do it, but at the same time it is such a fundamental request that it is mindblowing that it is still missing.

Pretend c4d didnt have the extrude object, and that to extrude any object in a straight line, you had to use a sweep, then sweep it along a straight line spline. Now throw in the fact that c4d has no straight line spline primitive and that you'll also need to work around that omission. Think back to every extrude youve ever done, every bit of text, every logo, every cog, and imagine you had to jump through those hoops. Its a bit like that. Easy to work around, but staggering that we're still here, unable to pivot cube from the corner.

4 hours ago, Cairyn said:

Fine, but would you call it a need?

You don't need a rectangle selection tool, you can draw a box with 5 clicks of the polygon selection tool.

You don't need a cylinder primitive, you can set a cone to be the same shape.

You don't need a tube primitive, you can set a torus to do the same thing.

You don't need a 'look at camera' tag, you can set up target or constraint tags.

You don't need antialiasing, you can render larger then scale the image down.

You don't need polygon or edge mode, you can do the exact same thing with a few more clicks in point mode.

We don't need any of this, but if you moved to a new 3D app and you were missing something as fundamental as scaling a cube primitive from one side, you'd probably be pretty surprised they hadn't figured that out after a few decades too.