I was wondering if I had a data SSD would I see any performance boost when loading or saving files? Obviously I have a boot SSD so the PC starts quicker and loads apps quick.

I have tried saving and opening to this SSD and didn’t really notice any improvement…

Modern disk drives have pretty high load and save speed, it is mainly with random access and many small files that ssds shine. Loading or saving big files in one go happens fast with both. I tend to use ssds for the main os drive and for databases or similar uses.

• 6 months later...

Hi Srek

My sincere apologees for not replying to you post - I got sidetracked 🙂

I thinking that if I had a SSD for one particular client which uses loads of files it might speed up load times in After Effects and save times in C4D which are rather slow on a normal HDD.

I have an external SSD I think I might give that a go...

ssd's will def help with after effects, in c4d, they might help if you have large files and have to wait often.

wont make c4d start any faster. C4D actually starts almost instantly if you don't have any plugins in it. They are the ones that ussually slow stuff down.

Not sure how old your computer is or what you budget is, but if speed is what you are after, you may want to consider M.2 SSD's.  The require their own slot on the motherboard but as they support PCIe 3.0 (as well as SATA 3.0 and USB 3.0 protocols), they can be significantly faster than SATA SSD's which only support SATA interface standards.  SATA SSD's speed is around 600 Mb/s whereas M.2 PCIe cards can hit 4 Gb/s.  M.2 SSD's can also support NVMe (non-volatile memory express) protocols which are optimized for volatile memory storage and as such uses streamlined command sets to efficiently parse and manipulate data.

Downside is that they are extremely expensive, and their max size is only 2TB.  

Honestly, my ideal workstation would use 2TB NVMe M.2 drive as the boot drive.  All applications and whatever my current graphics scenes required would be moved to that drive until the job was finished.  Permanent storage would then be on a pair of 4TB SATA drives in a RAID 1 configuration (redundancy).  Off of that would be what I have now: an eternal 6TB SATA drive in RAID 1 configuration for back-up (hot swappable drives in case one fails).  

Not there yet....but still looking.  Unfortunately, each time I look, the price goes up.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

Thanks for the replies peeps - much appreciated.

Currently I have a 500mb M.2 PCIe card for my startup drive and apps and all my current working data is saved to a 2TB HDD. I have an archive drive which is duplicated on another drive so I have two sets of all my data current and archive data. I know I should have an off-site back-up as well but I haven't got around to that yet…

Reading what you have all said I think I will go for a 1-2 TB M.2 for my current data drive which hopefully will speed things up in AE since that is the slowest link.