Is Artstation worth it?

clarence

I’ve been doing some illustrations lately that I’m quite happy with. And now I’m thinking about uploading them to Artstation. But I’m not really interested in getting lots of commissions or a new job. Nor do I want to spend hours every day liking other artist’s work just to boost my visibility. 

Still, I enjoy scrolling through the new pieces there. And it’s cool to see so many good artists in one place. 

So, my question is, is Artstation worth the effort/money?

5 minutes ago, clarence said:

So, my question is, is Artstation worth the effort/money?

What kind of money? I didn't know you need money to share there. I would say its worth if you have some kind of goals. If not, why waste time on uploading anything. Artstation is probably the best place to share your stuff if you have professional looking stuff, I am sure nothing can go wrong to try it. 

1 hour ago, ahven said:

Better one 

https://cgsociety.org/

Ehm, no. Artstation is what CG Society was 15 years ago.
They were actually funded by the same guy, Leonard Teo. CG Society was funded with the focus on creating a forums community, Artstation with the goal of showcasing. CG Society was sold several years ago and is currently effectively dead. I was a moderator there for well over a decade before the site turned toxic and useless.

6 hours ago, srek said:

Ehm, no. Artstation is what CG Society was 15 years ago.
They were actually funded by the same guy, Leonard Teo. CG Society was funded with the focus on creating a forums community, Artstation with the goal of showcasing. CG Society was sold several years ago and is currently effectively dead. I was a moderator there for well over a decade before the site turned toxic and useless.

Oh really? That is nice to know. Yes I know the discussion went off the rails.

It has a portfolio section that is quite useful for me at least. It was best forum when there was lighting challenges. Perhaps I post there for the sake of nostalgy. I am very old member and joined in 2003. CGSociety was established in 2001. The atmosphere is not the same I agree. 

I browsed new art community named Trojan Horse was a Unicorn. Spotted same guy here:

https://www.trojan-unicorn.com/gatherings/knights/leonard-teo/thu-gathering-montreal-2018