NVIDIA Special Address at SIGGRAPH 2021

Guest Igor

1 hour ago, MJV said:

There may be something there, but it looks like a lot of smoke and mirrors to me. 

Only time will tell. And Blender again getting special attention which will be very interesting to see how it evolves  

So many different things discussed. The AI driven 3d asset creation continues to expand and improve. That's a huge mixed bag for us creators: is it making us better and faster...or replacing us?

I suppose at the least I'll want to explore what Omniverse is. 

8 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

That's a huge mixed bag for us creators: is it making us better and faster...or replacing us?

The same question I am asking myself and I am not sure what is the answer. To me it seems like only corporations will have benefits or clients. Artist will have to have less and less knowledge about everything. And we all know what happens when there is a lot more people into something. So I dont know, I guess only time will tell.

23 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

That's a huge mixed bag for us creators: is it making us better and faster...or replacing us?

The same thing goes for us developers as well. We are moving away from developing something that is understandable from a code/math perspective and instead are now just feeding in parameters to a black box and blindly using what ever pops out the other end, without gaining any insights or knowledge about how the results came to be. Almost feels like a dumbing down of science. A bit like just going to Wikipedia and trusting the answer is correct with no references or info how that answer came to be.

Off topic but in another crazy use of AI... this company used an AI to scan users behaviour on their networks and anyone who wasn't blinding typing rubbish, sending un-required emails or creating meaningless Jira tickets was deemed "unengaged and unproductive employees" and then fired.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/386534/Xsolla_lays_off_150_after_an_algorithm_ruled_staff_unengaged_and_unproductive.php

6 hours ago, kbar said:

Almost feels like a dumbing down of science. A bit like just going to Wikipedia and trusting the answer is correct with no references or info how that answer came to be.

Speaking of Wikipedia, one of its two founders, Larry Sanger, says its tainted now by corporate and partisan rubbish.

So @KBAR are you personally seeing software development move to AI?

Troubling times in so many ways.

4 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

So @KBAR are you personally seeing software development move to AI?

I am not personally seeing any development jobs being taken away by AI. But when you start to think of a new idea for a product you do have to seriously consider what the best approach would be now. Whether you go for the algorithmic approach and develop it based on the well defined knowledge, research and logic, or if you instead should see if there is a large data set that you could instead create a model, using machine learning, that would be able to produce a "good enough" result instead. 

Most recently I have been thinking about painting software for creating new materials and textures etc... and it almost makes no sense now to do it the "old" way and instead create a model based on real world photos and have it generate the texture you want. The creative feeling of painting is what I enjoy, but if you are after an end result for a production then getting to the end result as fast as you can is more desirable. And this will eventually apply to many cases in 3D, as shown by the work Nvidia are doing right now. I should probably start focusing on tools and workflows to integrate GANS into C4D.

This site here is absolutely nuts. https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/  Just keep refreshing the page for new generated faces.

In our institute, a discussion concerning https://copilot.github.com/ just started and I am curious if this makes any sense for us. The question is when this turns from "Supporting the coder" to "Implement what the project owner wants". I didn't look to deep into this, but I guess this is still only for some environments. In our case, I doubt it would helpt with our in house software as it is pretty specific, but if you are doing some python and want a quick solution, this might spit out the code you need. But will AI provide good architectures for bigger systems? Luckily I am not a pure programmer, more in the field of research, so I do not see this as a threat at the moment, but this opens unpleasant perspectives... I mean here in Germany at least, IT jobs are pretty safe at the moment, but it seems automation won't stop at phsysical work....

5 hours ago, kbar said:

I am not personally seeing any development jobs being taken away by AI. But when you start to think of a new idea for a product you do have to seriously consider what the best approach would be now. Whether you go for the algorithmic approach and develop it based on the well defined knowledge, research and logic, or if you instead should see if there is a large data set that you could instead create a model, using machine learning, that would be able to produce a "good enough" result instead. 

Most recently I have been thinking about painting software for creating new materials and textures etc... and it almost makes no sense now to do it the "old" way and instead create a model based on real world photos and have it generate the texture you want. The creative feeling of painting is what I enjoy, but if you are after an end result for a production then getting to the end result as fast as you can is more desirable. And this will eventually apply to many cases in 3D, as shown by the work Nvidia are doing right now. I should probably start focusing on tools and workflows to integrate GANS into C4D.

This site here is absolutely nuts. https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/  Just keep refreshing the page for new generated faces.

Some face results seem to be distorted. Very interesting.

I disagree that AI is not taking peoples jobs. There has been even more self service points on my town in few years than before. Let´s say it is not "the AI" but generally the digitalization progress culture which is the same root of job loss. More money for mega corporations.

13 minutes ago, ahven said:

Some face results seem to be distorted. Very interesting.

I disagree that AI is not taking peoples jobs. There has been even more self service points on my town in few years than before. Let´s say it is not "the AI" but generally the digitalization progress culture which is the same root of job loss. More money for mega corporations.

All these automation things in the end serves more to corporations as they don't need human power to do stuff and little to none to those who are trying to master something. Seems like hand made things will become things of the past in the name of the profits. Nothing new I guess.