Randomizing clones order every n frame with no repetition

Hey, so here's my situation:

I have a set of 20 objects

I have a cloner with 4 clones, with all the 20 objects as children (so it shows only 4 at a time)

What I need is to get the cloner to show every combination of the 20 obejcts every set number of frames

Thing is, they can't repeat.

I know it's like 100k combinations or so, I might not export all of them but I still need to be able to have every frame show a unique different combination, for wtvr amount of frames it takes till every combination runs out.

I know it'll probably take some xpresso or python, I just don't know how to approach it.

I tried using the "Random" sorting option and changing the seed every frame, but I can already tell some combinations are repeated here and there.

Thanks!

Some ideas for you. I used letters as the objects and made a random list on frame 0 (checking for duplications). Makes new set every 10F.

Uses a while loop which can be a problem in C4D - if there's any errors it locks up needing a hard reset and you lose all your work. Be cautious when tinkering with the code.

cafe rnd5.c4d

Dude that's amazing, thank you so much for taking the time!

I have two questions if I may,

1. I see that whenever I restart the play, the random process is different. It's actually important in this project for me to have the same random sequence everytime I go back to the project. (I'm going to render the first few thousands, then at a later point have to render the rest, so I have to make sure non of the preivous combinations are repeated)

2. In this case, I actually need to have *any* kind of combination so repeating objects in the combination need to exist (1, 1, 1, 1) (1, 2, 2, 2) etc.

Is there an easy way to make *any* combination exist?

Thanks again man

Random in Python is based on a seed value (same as C4D). When no seed is specified it is based on system time so is different every run - but you can specify a seed to get repeatable sets of numbers. Insert this in the code

def main():
    global lister # persists to next frame

random.seed(100)

frame = doc.GetTime().GetFrame(doc.GetFps()) # get current frame

Can be any number. Don't forget to click compile 😀

As for #2 - if you put something like this at the end of the list generation part

for c in range(100):
     random.shuffle(lister[c]) # else in order lo - hi

lister[20] = [1,1,1,1]

it will overwrite the 20th set of numbers with your chosen values. Count starts at 0 . You could have several lines.

Let me know if this works.

Dude, thank you so so much. That really is so helpful.

Any chance I could get your contact info? It seems to me like this project is a sort of a tip of an iceberg and I would love to collaborate on upcoming projects if you have the time or will to work on stuff.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community