Settings for mimicking PS1 graphics?

Greetings!

I recently got an idea for some world-building and animations for a project, using low-poly models and low-res textures, mimicking the old PS1 art styles.
This the kind of thing I plan to replicate in terms of scenery and props :
Screenshot 2021-09-02 180555.png

I've already figured out that I'll have to work with low-res, no anti-aliasing renders, however I'm not sure what settings I should use for the materials in the scene.
I can use Photoshop to manually make the textures blocky, but I'm certain the UV maps will distort the textures and cause blurring.

What can I modify and experiment with in the project settings / properties of each material to make them look rough / blocky?

I have C4D R12 and R16.

Hi @PetreskoBG
I love PS1 Graphics, I was doing a little personal project here doing this low-res settings/anti alias.

For textures, one thing I would recommend is using the Pixel shade (Effects > Pixel) and import your full res texture there.
Put the sampling mode as "Square, and uncheck the "Smooth" setting,

Then you can play with Tiles U and V to adjust the resolution.
image.png.1872fc3ffda756b94edef2cba4d7b49b.png

Basically you need to turn off every 3D advancement made in the past couple of decades.

- Turn off all antialiasing

- Disable MIPmaps

- Turn off all texture filtering

- Restrict all textures to 256 colours and probably no more than 128 pixels in size

- 2 light sources + ambient light, hard shadows only

- short fog distance to fade out distant parts of the map quickly

- No reflection, refraction, GI, AO

@imashination
Turned off Antialiasing and removed the sampling on the texture, however I don't know how to go about removing texture filters.image.png.f2605621de4527f1947e1696aba7848c.png

Because I'm going to be using multiple props to make variations of buildings, I intend to use AO to make it look like the separate meshes are attached to the buildings in stead of painting shadows / grime around the seams, and I plan to use c4D omni light sources with some pixelated alpha filters on planes.
Painting light isn't going to be viable for my project, I just need to get close to the PS1 style.
On CGtalk they suggested I also use the Quantize setting under Cel Renderer and this is what I've achieved in the test file:image.png.d23fc7197c0141cb96346bc98e882257.png

10 hours ago, FLima said:

Oh noes 😞
I think you are using an older version of C4D. 
I believe the shader Pixel exists since R18, but I might be wrong.

Im currently using S24

No no, that's just the wrong menu. It's not in the render settings, it's on a per material channel basis!

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

Looks good. Maybe also consider turning off "8 bit dithering" in the render setting page, this will introduce more banding. also consider working half res and pixel doubling it back up. Not all ps1 games ran at the full PAL/NTSC resolution, some were processed at 320x240. Or 640x240 then pixel doubled vertically up to 640x480

On 9/2/2021 at 5:49 PM, imashination said:

Looks good. Maybe also consider turning off "8 bit dithering" in the render setting page, this will introduce more banding. also consider working half res and pixel doubling it back up. Not all ps1 games ran at the full PAL/NTSC resolution, some were processed at 320x240. Or 640x240 then pixel doubled vertically up to 640x480

Will keep it mind, thank you!

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community